Chapter 7: Turning Seasons

Emile awoke earlier than usual, his body shivering under the thin summer blanket he had wrapped tightly around himself. He sat up and looked outside at the black sky dotted with beautiful stars. He knelt down beneath his bed, pulling out the large trunk containing the winter blankets they were all assigned.

Gareth stirred at the noise Emile was making and, rubbing his eyes, mumbled, "I could have sworn today was our day off."

It had been about a month since Emile had recovered and rejoined his training team. As summer began to wane, Sir Richard and the other instructors allowed the students to rest on the seventh day of every week. According to the Galadorian Calendar, this day was known as Sun's Rest, a day for rest and religious obligations across the kingdom. The instructors explained that as they had progressed far enough in their physical training, one day of rest would allow them time to explore the city and spend time with family and friends.

Emile glanced over his shoulder at Gareth. "It's just so cold this morning," he said, faking a stutter before chuckling to himself. He pulled the thick wool blanket out of the chest and placed it on his bed.

Gareth shrugged. "It's normal for me this time of year. Weren't you from the southern tip of Galador?" he questioned.

Emile nodded as he finished repacking his chest and crawled into his bed. "Yeah, Bramblewood. Right on the border between Galador and Athenor." Emile snuggled into his blanket. "It was hot most of the year, as far as I remember. I've never seen snow there."

Emile sat up quickly in excitement. "Do you have snow here?" he asked.

Gareth paused for a moment before answering. "Yes, I believe Ascalon gets snow pretty frequently. It usually happens a few weeks after the harvest festival."

Emile looked at Gareth, confused. "Harvest festival?"

Gareth nodded. "Yeah, similar to the summer festival, except this time it's celebrated on a local level. I imagine Ascalon would have a rather large harvest festival, but I'll be going back to Frost Haven to be with my folks for that week."

Emile's eyes widened. "Are all the students going to go to their hometowns?"

Gareth sighed and sat up, looking at Emile. "Only if their hometown is within a certain distance. Frost Haven is only a two-day ride for me. I imagine there will be other students who stay in the dorms, so you won't be alone. Also, I think Olivia will be here, so that'll give you two time together."

Emile nodded. "Okay, thanks, Gareth." He rolled over, pondering Gareth's words. He wasn't sure what he'd do with Gareth gone, as the two had become like brothers—something Emile never had growing up. The thought of spending time with Olivia brought a small smile to his face, but the idea of the dorms being quieter and emptier without Gareth left him feeling a bit uneasy.

As Emile lay there, he listened to the early morning sounds of the academy waking up. The faint chirping of birds outside the window and the distant murmurs of other students beginning their day filled the air. He closed his eyes, pulling the warm blanket tighter around him, and tried to imagine what the harvest festival would be like. The thought of snow and celebrations brought a sense of excitement and anticipation. With Gareth's departure on his mind, he resolved to make the most of the upcoming weeks and the time he'd have with Olivia.

The sun rose that morning, casting a golden hue across the landscape. The once vibrant greens of summer began to take on the rich, warm tones of autumn. The air was much cooler than usual, and a chilling wind blew through Sir Richard's hair, signaling the end of summer and the approach of the colder months. He pulled his cloak tighter around himself as he rode his horse, Stomper, towards Castle Aurelia.