Chapter Seven

The birds chirp above Shade as he makes his way back toward base, he's been coming and going between the base and a safe house for about a week now, arriving at five am sharp and leaving around twelve to one am once he was sure all the work is done for the day. During that time he'd helped the 141 with small missions and searched for more information regarding Makarov, he even offered to help train some recruits to help out both of the sergeants however he was denied anytime he asked. He was confused at first when both of them denied but then it dawned on him that it would come off as shouldering their duties onto him.

Shade checks the time in his mask as he arrives at the gates of the base and sees he's right on time as usual, he takes out the military ID that Price helped him get for entrance though since he refused to take a picture even with the mask on it was rather useless. The ID became more of a confirmation that he did indeed work there, to confirm that he is the same person he says a phrase that usually Soap or Gaz picked out to confirm that it's the same person under the mask.

"Shame we have to be up at the crack ass of dawn," Shade says as he hands the ID over to the soldier at the gate, they check a few papers before letting him in.

Once inside Shade goes to the 141's personal kitchen and isn't surprised to see that it's empty, he usually arrives just as everyone is getting ready for the day. While waiting he prepares the coffee knowing that Price, Soap, and Gaz would appreciate it.

During his time at base, Shade has made it his mission to annoy Ghost as much as possible. Despite Ghost wearing a mask all the time he found the man to be rather expressive when it came to his eyes, Shade enjoys pulling a reaction from the rather emotionless man no matter how small or big it is.

Shade pours water into the tea kettle before putting it onto the stove to boil for Ghost tea. He is somewhat hoping that it makes up for what he's done to annoy Ghost today but at the same time, he hopes the man gets aggressive and it leads to some serious combat training. He is no stranger to all the gossip surrounding the British man, he knows that no one even thinks about messing with Ghost due to just how easily the man can intimidate people. Ghost's sheer size alone is scary in itself, the mask certainly helps his intimation factor but with his gruff authoritative voice on top of that. Shade can practically see the non-existent yellow caution tape surrounding Ghost.

Shade knows logically he should be avoiding Ghost in general unless it's necessary. Just being on base alone has already caused trouble with his visions but Shade feels the mental pull toward Ghost and it is hard to ignore. Shade can't help but want to poke at the man and see what other reactions he can get from him.

'I wonder if Ghost smokes in the morning or later in the day' Shade thinks to himself as he lightly taps a beat onto the counter, he checks the time again and decides to make a meal.

Shade checks the cabinets but only finds boxes of instant meals, instant oatmeal, potatoes, and small bowls of prepackaged cereals. He shakes his head as he checks the fridge only to be more disappointed, inside the fridge is a package of sliced cheddar cheese, coffee creamer, a half carton of milk, and sauce packets. Shade crosses his fingers as he opens the freezer part and sighs with relief, inside the freezer is a pack of bacon and some sausages. He pulls both out checking the expiration on both of them before checking again to see if there are any signs of it being tampered with.

Soon after Shade has two frying pans cooking both the sausage and bacon, he checks some of the lower cabinets for seasoning but can't find any.

'Of course, there's no seasoning' Shade rolls his eyes and opens his pack, he moves a few things around until he comes across a plastic yellow container.

Shade closes his pack and puts the yellow container on the counter by the stove, inside is an array of travel-sized seasonings. Some are inside small bottles while others are in paper packets, he takes out the maple and brown sugar packet for the bacon, then the onion powder mixed with chili powder for the sausage. He uses the full packet of maple and bacon but seasons the sausage lightly with the chili onion mixture.