MESSAGE FROM DEREK

Write the tweets of your dead hero, a dead historical figure, or a long-passed literary great.

*

The Hon Sir Derek Walcott was a Saint Lucian poet and playwright who won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1992. His work explored themes of colonialism, identity, and the Caribbean landscape. Here are a series of tweets he might have shared with the next generation of young Saint Lucian writers:

Tweet 1: "To the young Saint Lucian writers out there: your voice is important. Don't be afraid to speak your truth and share your perspective with the world."

Tweet 2: "Remember that your writing is a reflection of who you are and where you come from. Embrace your unique identity and use it to inform and inspire your work."

Tweet 3: "The Caribbean landscape is rich with history and culture. Use it as a source of inspiration for your writing and bring your own experiences and insights to the page."

Tweet 4: "Writing is not just about talent, but also about discipline and hard work. Set aside time every day to write and don't be afraid to revise and edit until you get it right."

Tweet 5: "As a Saint Lucian writer, you have a responsibility to represent your country and your people. Use your platform to amplify their voices and share their stories."

Tweet 6: "Read widely and diversely to broaden your perspective and expand your understanding of the world. Every book you read is a new opportunity to learn and grow as a writer."

Tweet 7: "Don't be afraid to experiment with different forms and styles of writing. Poetry, prose, playwriting - there are no limits to what you can create."

Tweet 8: "The world needs your unique perspective and voice. Don't be discouraged by rejection or criticism - keep writing and sharing your truth with the world."

Tweet 9: "Writing can be a lonely and isolating process, but it doesn't have to be. Connect with other writers and share your work with trusted friends and mentors for feedback and support."

Tweet 10: "Remember that writing is a lifelong journey of discovery and growth. Embrace the process and keep pushing yourself to new heights and depths in your craft."

Nou en Sainte-Licien.

Se la nou sorti.

© 19 April 2023