Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder ✓

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a mental health condition that's triggered by a terrifying event — either experiencing it or witnessing it. Symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event.

It is natural to feel afraid during and after a traumatic situation. Fear is a part of the body's "fight-or-flight" response, which helps us avoid or respond to potential danger. People may experience a range of reactions after trauma, and most people recover from initial symptoms over time. Those who continue to experience problems may be diagnosed with PTSD.

What is a traumatic event?
Trauma or a traumatic event is anything that severely threatens your existence or sense of safety. It doesn't have to be a single event (like a car accident) — it can be long-term trauma like living through war or frequent abuse. Trauma also doesn't have to happen directly to you — you could witness a traumatic event. In addition, you could develop PTSD after learning that a traumatic event happened to a loved one.

Examples of traumatic events include (but aren't limited to):
- Serious accidents, like a car accident.
- Severe injury or sudden illness.
- War and military combat.
- Natural disasters, such as a tornado, earthquake, fire or flood.
- Physical abuse.
- Verbal abuse.
- Sexual assault or abuse.
- Bullying.
- The sudden death of a loved one.

Types of PTSD
Two conditions are closely related to PTSD:
- Acute stress disorder: This is a short-term mental health condition that can occur within the first month after experiencing a traumatic event. Symptoms lasting longer than four weeks may meet the criteria for PTSD.
- Complex PTSD (CPTSD): This is a mental health condition that can develop if you experience chronic (long-term) trauma. Examples of chronic trauma include long-term child physical or sexual abuse, long-term domestic violence and war. People with CPTSD typically have PTSD symptoms in addition to extensive issues with emotion regulation, sense of self and relationships.

What are the signs and symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder?
Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms may start within one month of a traumatic event, but sometimes symptoms may not appear until years after the event. These symptoms cause significant problems in social or work situations and in relationships. They can also interfere with your ability to go about your normal daily tasks.

PTSD symptoms are generally grouped into four types: intrusive memories, avoidance, negative changes in thinking and mood, and changes in physical and emotional reactions. Symptoms can vary over time or vary from person to person.

To be diagnosed with PTSD, an adult must have all of the following for at least 1 month:
- At least one re-experiencing symptom
- At least one avoidance symptom
- At least two arousal and reactivity symptoms
- At least two cognition and mood symptoms

Symptoms of intrusive memories may include:
- Recurrent, unwanted distressing memories of the traumatic event
- Reliving the traumatic event as if it were happening again (flashbacks)
- Upsetting dreams or nightmares about the traumatic event
- Severe emotional distress or physical reactions to something that reminds you of the traumatic event

Thoughts and feelings can trigger these symptoms, as can words, objects, or situations that are reminders of the event.

Symptoms of avoidance may include:
- Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event
- Avoiding places, activities or people that remind you of the traumatic event

Avoidance symptoms may cause people to change their routines. For example, some people may avoid driving or riding in a car after a serious car accident.