Chapter Five: Nanami

Chapter Five
...

Nanami had watched the curse fly off, but he knew it would be a waste to chase him on foot, especially with a pro hero on the scene. Any Jujutsu Sorcerer worth his salt knew that Pro Heroes were more worthless than garbage. While they protected people, they failed to do anything about curses. Worse, yet even if they chose too and could see curses, they would be blinded by the lack of fame it would bring.

He had heard of the fledgling hero Deku, and he wasn't impressed. Taking down a Yakuza Boss was impressive, and it saved lives, but it just wasn't impressive. The lines of bodies that belonged to Nanami's former friends hadn't left him. There were no heroes to protect them from the curses that killed and hunted Jujutsu Sorcerers. Nanami had fought Mahito before, and he knew that someone who couldn't use Jujutsu would be helpless against Mahito.

So he held his blade to Deku's neck, his face empty and without any mercy. "Yuji, why can this pro hero see curses?" Nanami asked, not paying Izuku anymind despite holding a blade to his neck. His voice was deep and authoritative yet also calming as if he had taken the reins of the situation with the elegance and grace of a pianist

Yuji wasn't sure why Nanami was holding a knife to Izuku's neck. He knew from Gojo that Jujutsu Sorcerers didn't respect pro heroes, but this was too far. "Nanami, he helped fight the curse he isn't our enemy." Yuji pleaded, hoping he could reason with Nanami.

"Yuji, you haven't been a Jujutsu Sorcerer for long, you don't understand what his existence means for Jujutsu Society. If he exposes curses, upstages the centuries of work Sorcerer's have spent defeating curses, and defending humanity, it will be devastating." Nanami explained as he readied himself to kill Deku, while he didn't like killing children, he had to weigh everything by himself.

Junpei was the one who spoke this time, seeming more confident yet more calm as he spoke. "I'm not a Jujutsu Sorcerer, yet I can summon a Shikigami, you can't just kill people based on a what if." Junpei said his words seeming to have an effect on Nanami.

The older man seemed to ponder everything before putting his blade away. He knew the elders would probably order his death if they found out he let a hero witness a curse like Mahito and live. Despite this, there was a level of morality when it came to the big picture. "Just get out of here, hero." Nanami said, fixing his glasses.

Izuku nodded, not wanting to start a fight with Nanami. He could tell he wasn't a malicious man, just something about him made Izuku feel like he was a trustworthy man. He wasn't going to start a fight over something petty like pride as he was well aware that Mahito wasn't the only curse. Looking at Mahito, Izuku could see the experience written across his body. The loss in his heart and how the pain of that loss sat in his soul. He would comply with Nanami's wishes out of respect for what he and other like him went through.

As he turned to leave, he felt a hand on his shoulder. Yuji leapt to his side wanting to say his own goodbye to Izuku. "I've never met a hero before, and well thank you for helping me save Junpei." He said, holding out his hand with a smile.

While Izuku was unsure if he'd ever see Yuji again, he shook the boys hand. "I'm happy to help, and whenever you need me, I'll be here to help." Izuku added a slight nervousness being added to his tone of voice.

Yuji nodded as Izuku activated One For All and jumped across the city, leaving the Jujutsu Sorcerers and Junpei to their own devices.

"I didn't get to say goodbye." Junpei said, disappointed he let his nervousness get the best of him.

"Well, since you got a Shikigami, you can join Jujutsu Tech with me." Yuji said excitedly before getting hit on the head by Nanami.

"First off, as far as the other students know you are dead, and not just anyone can join Jujutsu tech, there is due procedure and process to consider." Nanami said before hitting Yuji again. "Not to mention Gojo when he inevitably finds out about your new friend." Nanami added with a slight jolt of warning.

"I'm sure Gojo will figure something out." Yuji said optimistically. "So what do you say, Jumpei?" He asked his friend, who was shocked by the question.

Nanami sighed as he looked at Jumpei and Yuji. While Jumpei wasn't a traditional Jujutsu Sorcerer, it was better he learn to control and improve upon his power and use it to fight curses. Mahito could be blamed for the events that happened at the school, and with the threat of Mahito increasing, it would only be a matter of time before focus would be switched solely to him.

"I'll do it, I'll join Jujutsu Tech." Jumpei said with a smile as Yuji put a hand on his shoulder as the first battle with Mahito reached its finale without any casualties, however unbeknownst to the trio they were being observed by a man who planned to change the very fabric of Jujutsu Sorcerer society and the world.