Knights in Training

She woke up one morning, her small bag already packed. The sounds of the street filtered through her window, and the enticing smell of baked bread caught her attention. Without much resistance, she got up from the small bed and headed downstairs. Spotting her mother, she yawned.

"Good morning to you too, dear," the older woman said, a smile lingering on her lips.

"Good morning, Mother. Is that fresh bread?" the young girl replied, carefully moving closer to the stove. Upon seeing it, she took a piece.

Together, they had breakfast. Her father was nowhere to be seen, as usual, and the child found herself not caring anymore. "Lua, me estás escuchando?"

She snapped back. "I'm sorry, what did you say?"

Her mother sighed. "Do you have everything ready to leave?" she repeated, a lingering sadness in her voice at the thought of her daughter's departure. She didn't want for her only daughter to leave. ¿To join the army? That was bullshit. And she knew. She knew the future her child would hold. If she could, if she could hold her just for a while longer. 

Just a mere more seconds to feel her still here, to go against the orders given upon the king and keep her to herself. But as commoners, they wouldn't go against their king. As that meant going against god. ¿And who would ever want to fight the heavens?

"Promise me that you'll keep yourself safe, Lua." The mother whispered.
"I promise."

But that was such a lie, ¿wasn't it, my love?

***

"Father, why do I have to study politics? I don't feel the need to train as a knight," Astra said, nearly running to keep up with her father.

"You are the second heir to the House of Stars, my dear. As my daughter, you need to learn how to be a duchess. And for that, you need to understand war," the man stated, lowering himself to her level. 

"Nothing will happen to you. You are strong and intelligent, sweetheart," he continued. "Now, let's get to your rooms and see if the maids have everything ready for you, alright?"

"Alright!" The child said, taking his father's hand, walking together in the big castle. As they continued down the halls, the silence subsisted till they met the corner of the quarters.

"Astra, I need you to listen carefully to me now. You are getting older, and as you grow, you need to understand that building a realm isn't achieved through peace alone," he said firmly. "You'll learn that sometimes, to secure a better future for us, you will need to sacrifice the futures of others. Even when you think they aren't at fault, remember that it's you or them, and your realm needs you."

"I understand father." The young girl replied, looking up at the old man, as the guards opened the door to her room, she went inside to collect her stuff. "I'll wait for you here, sweetheart." He said, as he stayed outside, sitting on a nearby couch.

He looked out the giant window, the future wasn't looking as bright as it had been a few years back, and he knew that if he wanted for this realm to continue, he had to follow god's wishes and listen to his king. Even as that meant putting in danger his legacy.

He hummed as he looked the birds fly outside, the sun was high in the sky as the trees leaves moved slowly to the chilly air of the afternoon.