Life of a Duchess

The morning sun made the room of the young lady be filled with beautiful golden colors. In between hills and dense forests, the grand manor stood as a testament to centuries of power and prestige. Within its ancient walls, young Astra, heir to the lineage of the Ó Rinn. Began her day as she had every day since she could remember.

Astra awoke to the soft chime of the antique clock in her room. She stretched, feeling the luxurious silk sheets slide against her skin. Her room, adorned with tapestries and paintings depicting the history of her family, was a constant reminder of the legacy she was destined to inherit. As she glanced around, her eyes settled on a portrait of her mother, the current Duchess Mitsumi Ó Rinn. The duchess was a formidable woman, known for her wisdom and strength. Astra often wondered if she would ever be able to fill her mother's shoes.

She dressed in the attire chosen by her maid, a simple yet elegant gown that spoke of her noble status without being ostentatious. Astra descended the grand staircase, her footsteps echoing through the silent halls. The estate's staff bustled about, preparing for the day ahead. She was greeted by the head butler, Mr. Ledger, who handed her the day's schedule.

"Good morning, Lady Astra," Mr. Ledger said with a bow. "Your mother requests your presence in the study after breakfast. So I recommend you to not make her wait for too long." "Thank you, Mr. Ledger," Astra replied, taking the schedule and heading towards the dining hall, as she walked she looked down at the paper that was given upon her.

In her way she saw her father, upon seeing him she gently waved at him as he heard the knights behind him whisper about "how amazing duke Miio was." She smiled at that and continued her walk through the halls to the great hall.

The breakfast table was a sight to behold, laden with an assortment of fruits, pastries, and delicacies from around the region. Duchess Mitsumi sat at the head of the table, already engrossed in a stack of documents. Astra took her seat beside her mother, who glanced up briefly to acknowledge her presence.

"Good morning, Astra," the duchess said, her tone warm yet distant. "I trust you slept well?"

"Yes, Mother," Astra replied, helping herself to a piece of toast. "Mr. Ledger said you wanted to see me after breakfast?"

"Indeed. There are matters we need to discuss regarding your future and the responsibilities you will soon undertake, as you are turning fourteen this year." Astra nodded, her heart pounding slightly. These conversations always filled her with a mix of excitement, yet at the same time she felt anxious and scared. After finishing her meal, she followed her mother to the study—a grand room lined with shelves of ancient books and historical artifacts.

"Sit, Astra," the duchess commanded, indicating a chair opposite her massive oak desk. "Today, we will discuss the importance of maintaining alliances with neighboring provinces, we will also continue your study on economics."

For the next few hours, Astra listened intently as her mother explained the complex web of politics and economics that governed their land. The duchess spoke of trade agreements, land disputes, and the subtle art of diplomacy.

After the lesson, Astra was excused to attend her other duties. She headed to the stables, where her horse, awaited. Riding was one of the few pleasures Astra allowed herself, a brief escape from the weight of her future. As she galloped across the sprawling fields, the wind in her hair, she felt a rare sense of freedom, yet something winning herself always missed. She had spent years trying to figure out what it was, yet she hadn't been able to.

Her ride was interrupted by the arrival of a messenger. "Lady Astra, your presence is requested at the council meeting this afternoon," the young man said, bowing low. Astra sighed, but nodded. "Thank you. I'll be there shortly."