Chapter One

Darkpaw was padding through the forest, heading towards Rippleclan territory. He was filled with anger and fury but hadn't regretted what he'd done. Suddenly, Darkpaw spotted an old bunny burrow. He padded over to see if it could be used as shelter. He poked his head inside the bunny den and realized there were droppings all over the ground. Darkpaw hissed in disgust and left in a hurry.

Soon, Darkpaw came upon a fallen oak tree. He went to look if it could live in it, just for now. The oak was hollow but there was a scent in it.

"Who's there?" growled Darkpaw.

A blur of grey, ungroomed fur sprang at Darkpaw. Darkpaw ducked down and missed the blow. This cat fights like a kit, I'll be able to claim this territory easily. Darkpaw leapt for the cat, who had slammed into a tree trunk and pinned him down.

"Who are you?" snarled Darkpaw, raising a paw.

"I..I'm Spike," stammered the grey cat as he thrashed as Darkpaw's paws.

Darkpaw let go of the grey tom and hissed. Spike scrambled onto his paws again.

Pretending he was stronger and fiercer, Spike narrowed his eyes and growled "This is my territory."

Darkpaw wasn't afraid. He had learn't that you had to fight for what you wanted. Darkpaw just sat patiently and twitched his whiskers, ready for another fight, this time, to kill.

"Well then, if you're not going to share, I guess I'll have to kill you to get the territory," Darkpaw taunted, his voice ice cold.

Spike froze, then dipped his head in submission.

Then he lashed his tail and mewed "Come on in."

Darkpaw smirked. I guess I'm getting the hang of this thing. Soon, I'm going to be the most feared cat in the whole gorge.