Chapter Four

Dapplekit, Dancingkit and Brightkit had all received their apprentice names since the last moon. Maplepaw had also been to a gathering where Petalstar had announced the prophecy to all the clans.

Maplepaw and Dapplepaw were taking a walk in the damp undergrowth of LeafClan, trying to figure out if they had a special power to help save the clans.

Suddenly, Maplepaw blurted out "What about we try flying!"

Dapplekit mewed nervously "Er...that might be a little dangerous."

"Come on, just jump off this tiny rock and see if you glide," persuaded Maplepaw.

Dapplepaw sighed and jumped.

"Ow," she muttered as she tumbled onto the grass. "You try," she said smirking.

Maplepaw looked nervous as she leapt off the rock. Somehow, she landed on all four paws.

"Well," she said, "I guess flying isn't going to work out for us."

Then, Dapplepaw mewed "What about super speed, I would love to have super speed!"

"Ok..." mewed Maplepaw hesitantly. "You go first."

Dapplepaw padded to a clearing where there were no obstacles to bump into. She took a deep breath and ran as fast as she could.

"Woah, it feels like I'm flying!" Dapplepaw yowled.

Suddenly, there was a thump and Dapplepaw yelped.

"I think I went too fast," Dapplepaw yelled.

"What?" asked Maplepaw.

Dapplepaw rolled her eyes and ran back a little slower this time.

"That was totally awesome. You were there in like five seconds!" exclaimed Maplepaw.

Dapplepaw blushed and curled her tail over her paws.

"You try," offered Dapplepaw.

Maplepaw took a deep breath and ran as fast as she could. When she got to the same tree Dapplepaw got to, she was so tired, she could barely walk. Maplepaw slowly trudged back to Dapplepaw where her friend reassured her.

"I know you'll find your power, I can just feel it!" Dapplepaw mewed gently.

"Maplepaw sighed and mewed "I doubt it, I'll never be any use to the Clan."

Dapplepaw shook her head fiercely and mewed, "I know we'll find your power, we just need to
keep looking. Even if we don't find it, you'll always be a big use to the clan."

Maplepaw forced a smile and mewed "Thanks Dapplepaw, this is why you'll always be my best friend."

The two cats brushed pelts and walked alongside each other all the way back to camp.