Chapter Three

Sunshine shone into the hollow oak and warmed Darkpaw's face. Darkpaw shook himself and stretched, then padded out of his temporary den. Suddenly, Darkpaw's belly growled. He hadn't eaten for a day and was starving. Darkpaw headed for the moor near RippleClan territory to hunt.

Darkpaw was happily racing along when he scented something. A rabbit burrow. Oh boy I'm in for a treat! Darkpaw licked his lips and sprang at the entrance of the den. Lucky for him, he was small enough to squeeze into the rabbit burrow and block the entrance. He lashed his paws out and growledto scare them. Then he snarled and killed them one by one as they tried to escape. Darkpaw snickered when he had caught all the rabbits. Dumb piles of fur. I caught them all! This will last me a whole moon!

Darkpaw slipped out of the rabbit burrow, only to find that he didn't remember where his den was. Fox dung! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to find another den.

Darkpaw padded along the river, not aware he was way over the RippleClan border. Soon, he was at the Earthclan border when he scented something familiar. It smelled like him but he knew it wasn't his smell. He hadn't ever been this way before today.

Suddenly, there were voices and pawsteps. Fox dung, a patrol is coming! Darkpaw hid behind a few rocks that he found and waited. I wonder what scent was that I found back there. Darkpaw peeked from behind the rock as pawsteps thundered closer. Suddenly, the familiar scent was very strong. Darkpaw gasped, it was Coldstar's scent. Coldstar's my father, that fox hearted betrayer, lier. I want to rip his pelt off! Darkpaw started scratching the earth with his claws as he gnashed his teeth and hissed with fury. Then, Darkpaw had a plan, a good plan that would work. He smirked, then stepped out of his hiding spot.