5: a bet of chaos™️

"There's only one way to find out."

Mr. Bingo laid his plans on the table.

Miguel was skeptical about it. Molly felt a sense of disdain about the plan.

"What made you think that'd work?" She finally asked.

"Same reason why I helped you." Mr. Bingo stated calmly, "Think of it as friends having a good time."

"That is not how things work in the department, Bingo" Miguel hissed.

Molly nodded in agreement with Miguel.

"We can try!"

As if on cue, Molly's phone ringed. She picked it up without seeing the ID and started with her usual line.

"Molly this side, how may I help you?"

"Hey Molly! Remember me?"

"Of course, Lisa. How have you been?"

A small smile formed on her lips. She decided to keep it formal.

"I am good. The team has missed you a lot though..." Her voice trailed.

"Thank you for remembering me," Molly said, reeling over the memories in her mind, "I missed you all too. How's everyone?"

"That's what I called you for, Molly. Things are not well here. And we also don't know what to do."

"What do you mean?" Molly asks as she leans forward in her chair.

"Do you know of the food poisoning cases going around?"

"I have heard of them, yes"

"Detective Garcia succumbed to the cause. It happened last Friday."

"What?! No! That can't be true." Her chest tightened at the news.

Detective Garcia was one of the most respected and resourceful person on the team.

Everyone looked up to him in times of joys or despair. The world felt empty without him.

Mr. Bingo and Miguel were quietly observing the room when Molly panicked.

They were quickly alert, ready to help her to her feet or be prepared for whatever news was coming for them.

"Unfortunately, yes. I don't know what to do, Molly. Everything seems bleak without him."

She held back her tears and rocked back and forth in her seat in an attempt to calm herself.

'I have to be strong', she decided. 'The last thing Lisa and NYPD needed was me losing my grip.'

"I am sorry," Molly muttered without realizing, "Is there any way that I can help with it? What's the team's response on this?"

"It'd be lovely to have you back," She could hear Lisa's faint smile from the other end of the line, "But I am not forcing you. Do what you have to."

Molly winced at her bittersweet tone, "It'd be really difficult for me to do that. I really wish I could give my word, but I can't. I could, however help you on the case from the background."

Mr. Bingo caught a hint of what was happening and his face glowed with a grin.

"Why, thank you Molly!" There was a pause before she continued, "You still have access to the server, but more as a viewer. I will update the settings and send you all the information you might need"

"Thank you, truly." Molly smiled as she ended the call.

"Well, would you look at that."

Molly narrowed her eyes at him, "I hate you."