Chapter 2: reunion

The airport buzzed with the usual chaos of a summer Friday afternoon, but my mind was focused solely on the arrivals board. I scanned the flight numbers, my heart racing as I spotted the one I was waiting for.

"Flight 283 from Madrid has landed," I read aloud, my voice trembling with a mix of excitement and nerves.

Aaron squeezed my hand, his calming presence grounding me. "They'll be out soon, Catalina. Just breathe."

I nodded, taking a deep breath as Aaron suggested. My family's arrival from Spain was a big deal, especially for a girl who had been living an ocean away for the past five years. This would be their first visit to New York, and my anxiety was bubbling over. I had always been the one to visit them back home, and now, having them here, in my new world, was both thrilling and terrifying.

Minutes felt like hours as we stood in the crowded terminal. I checked my phone, scrolling through the group chat with my family, hoping for an update. Just as I was about to send another message, I saw a familiar face in the throng of people emerging from customs.

"Mamá!" I shouted, waving frantically.

Her face lit up, and she hurried over, dragging her suitcase behind her. In an instant, I was enveloped in her warm embrace, the familiar scent of her perfume bringing tears to my eyes.

"Mi niña," she murmured, pulling back to look at me. "You look beautiful, Catalina."

"Gracias, Mamá. I've missed you so much," I replied, my voice choked with emotion.

Aaron stepped forward, a warm smile on his face. "Mrs. Martín, it's so good to see you again."

My mother beamed at him, pulling him into a hug as well. "Aaron, dear, thank you for taking care of my daughter."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," he said, his eyes meeting mine with a look that made my heart swell.

Behind her, my father and siblings were making their way toward us. Papá, with his ever-present stern expression, softened as soon as he saw me. My younger brothers, Javier and Luis, were grinning like fools, while my older sister, Isabel, waddled over, her pregnant belly leading the way.

"Welcome to New York, everyone," I greeted, moving to hug each of them in turn.

"We're finally here!" Isabel exclaimed, rubbing her belly. "And just in time. This baby is due any day now."

"I can't believe you're going to have your baby here," I said, feeling a surge of pride. "It means so much to me."

Aaron stood by, helping with the bags and greeting my family members as they arrived. He was the picture of calm and collected, handling the chaos with his usual grace. Watching him interact with my family made my heart swell with love and gratitude.

"Is everyone hungry?" Aaron asked, once the greetings had subsided. "We have reservations at a restaurant nearby."

The chorus of agreement was unanimous. We made our way to the parking lot, where Aaron had arranged for a van to accommodate everyone. The drive to the restaurant was filled with chatter and laughter, the kind that only family can bring. I held Aaron's hand the whole way, feeling an overwhelming sense of contentment.

The restaurant was a charming little bistro with outdoor seating, perfect for a summer evening. As we settled in, Aaron leaned over and whispered in my ear, "See, everything's going smoothly."

I smiled, squeezing his hand. "You're right. Thank you for organizing everything."

Dinner was a lively affair, with my family regaling Aaron with stories from my childhood. Embarrassing ones, mostly. But he took it all in stride, laughing along and sharing anecdotes of his own. It felt like our two worlds were finally coming together, and the sense of unity was intoxicating.