The start.

Rileys POV:

Hockey camp was awesome, but I was still nervously waiting to see if I made the new team this year. Val said I was would, but I wasn’t so sure.

I was grabbing stuff from my locker when I caught my reflection. I blew some hair out of my face just as I got a notification. I quickly pulled out my phone, and my face lit up.

“What’s got you smiling like that?” a familiar voice called from beside me. I turned and saw it was Val.

“They just posted the hockey team list!” I shouted in excitement.

“Did you get in?” Val asked, her excitement matching mine.

I scanned my phone, searching for my name.

“That’s it! I made it! I really made it!” I looked up at Val, feeling pure joy.

She nudged me and nodded, “See? I knew you would, Minnesota.” Her nickname for me never got old, and I didn’t mind it one bit.

We stayed in the hallway for a few minutes, soaking in the moment. Val had been on the team since last year, and she knew exactly what this meant to me.

“You did it, Riley! I knew you would,” Val said, her excitement contagious.

“Thanks, Val. I can’t wait to play with you,” I said, feeling a mix of relief and anticipation.

“Practice is going to be intense, but you’ll be great. Coach Roberts has been talking about you all week,” Val said as we headed out of the school.

We walked to the parking lot, where we usually hung out after school. “I remember watching you play last year and thinking how cool it would be to be on the same team. And now it’s happening,” I said, still in a bit of disbelief.

Val grinned. “It’s going to be awesome. We’ll crush it together.”

As we reached the lot, I spotted a group of our teammates.

We walked over, and everyone was buzzing with excitement about the upcoming season. I felt a mix of nerves and joy. It was finally real. I was part of the team.

That evening, as we headed home, Val and I talked about what's ahead. “Tomorrow’s the first practice,” she said. “You ready?”

“Absolutely,” I replied, feeling a surge of confidence. "I can't wait!!"

As we made our way over to our teammates, one of Val’s friends, Dakota, slung an arm around me, congratulating me. Another one nudged my head and ruffled my hair.

I chuckled, pushing at their playful grasps. “So, I’m officially a Firehawk now, huh?”

Jesse, another of Val’s friends, grinned. “Gonna have to dye your hair red now,” she teased. Everyone, including me, burst into laughter.

“Should I?” I asked, half-serious. Val jumped in with a quick response.

“If you want to! It’s faded since camp, and you totally rocked it then,” she encouraged.

“Okay, dyeing my hair is definitely on my to-do list now,” I said, feeling a bit more adventurous.

“Nuh-uh, girl. You’re celebrating with us first,” Val said, nudging me. “I’ll buy the dye for you, but you’re coming with us to celebrate. No options.”

“Seriously? Isn’t that a bit much?” I tried to sound hesitant, but I was buzzing with excitement.

“Not at all!” Val brushed off my concerns. “There are so many people who try to join the team, but you actually made it. So, my dorm tonight, all of you, and bring friends. I’ll order pizza and we’ll get drinks.”

“Drinks?” I blurted out, trying not to sound uncool.

“Yeah, but you don’t have to drink if you don’t wa—” Val started to say.

I cut her off. “No, it’s fine! I’ve drunk before,” I lied, hoping to seem more experienced.

Val smiled, satisfied. “Great! It’s going to be an awesome night.”

As we walked away, I felt a mixture of excitement and nervousness. I had made the team, and now I had a one hell of a night ahead of me.