This Isn't Our First Time Around

Double Life
~
OC's included;
Minerva {they/any}
Lizzi {she/her}
~
From the perspective of Minerva.
[Short explanation; these two have history together as a couple, but Minerva changed their name and appearance, disappearing from Lizzi's life, and Lizzi is just now starting to see the signs that her ex, whom she assumed was dead, and Minerva are the same person.}
———
We sat in an empty field, quietly thinking. We were talking earlier, but we hadn't gotten into finer details about who each of us was. I had left my soulmate for a couple minutes, and so had she.
"So, do tell me, where did you grow up," Lizzi asked quietly. Starting with a tough question right off the bat. Okay.
I hate having to lie to her. It's easier with everyone else but my ex...? Not so much. At least she doesn't know it's me, that's a start.
"I-I grew up in a small town in the mountains, nothing special." My wings betrayed my voice, shifting and ruffling nervously. I felt my cheeks get hot. It was difficult to talk to her some days. She hasn't changed at all. Still just as beautiful.
Lizzi raised her eyebrows, clearly not buying it. "Uh-huh. And how old are you?"
That was the next most difficult question, but I managed to keep myself together, lying again.
"Sixteen."
"Oh, me too!" She sounded so excited, but she was still skeptical, I could tell. It wasn't hard to tell, she had always been so open with her emotions. She laid back in the grass, the color of her ring matching it. Her long hair was put down today and flowed in the wind. Lizzi was stunning.
"So... why are you here? Why... why the games," I questioned. Nobody chooses to be here. It was just something we were forced into, but there are reasons for it.
"Well, I don't think any of us had much of a choice, did we?"
Vague, but respectable. I nodded, before lying down in the grass next to her.
"So, Tris-" That was when I stopped listening. My heart skipped a beat. She figured it out. She found out my real name. How-
"Are you even listening?"
"What? Oh, yeah, go on." Maybe she'd drop it. I hoped she would at least.
"Why didn't you tell me? You didn't have to change your name. You didn't have to just disappear and leave me with no idea of where you were."
"Oh, because I really wanted to leave you. C'mon, Lizzi, you really think I'm that mean?" Their voice was dripping with sarcasm.
"You could be! You've changed. A lot. I don't know you anymore." She looked like she was trying to read me. I didn't let her. I didn't know what to feel, so I didn't show anything on my face.
"I should go-" I started sitting up to leave.
"You do not get to leave me like this again. Not without answers. Where were you, Minerva?"
Her eyes narrowed angrily. She wasn't playing around. I sighed quietly.
"Look, I didn't have a choice, and I can't speak freely here. Trust me when I say I meant nothing by it."
I almost called her 'love' then. I didn't know if she would have liked that, so I didn't. She was right. I had changed. And I wasn't going back to the way things were before.
She didn't stop me as I stood up to leave.
——
516 Words
(This is why you don't leave me along with my thoughts. This is the longest writing piece I've ever done for Wattpad to date.)