Chapter 14

It was no secret how much Camilo despised Santiago. Everyone in Pleasantwood knew it. They both had feelings for the same woman. Despite Gracie being with Camilo, Santiago flirted with her shamelessly.

It wasn't that Camilo didn't understand why Santiago did it. To him, Gracie was the most beautiful woman in the world. She had a smile that could light up any room and a kindness that was relentless. She laughed at jokes even when they weren't funny and complimented outfits even if they were ridiculous. Of course, Santiago loved her. But Gracie had chosen Camilo, and Santiago needed to accept that.

With his hand tightly around her wrist, Camilo dragged Gracie out of the café. He had seen Santiago inches from her face, and it took all his self-control not to react in a way he'd regret.

Once they were several blocks away, he turned to look at Gracie. Her hand had begun losing color, so he loosened his grip. She looked up at him, her golden eyes large and inviting, her smile forgiving. That's what he loved most about Gracie—she was always willing to forgive and let go, no matter how much he unintentionally hurt her. She understood that everyone made mistakes, especially when it came to protecting those they loved.

"Gracie," he said, breathing heavily, pulling her into his arms. He hugged her to his chest, and she let him. His heart was beating hard against his ribcage, and she listened anxiously.

"I'm sorry... He makes me so angry... you know he loves you, why do you lead him on like that?"

"I don't mean to," Camilo heard her sniffle. He placed his hands on her shoulders and held her at arm's length. Her face was red, and tears threatened to spill over. The smile on her face was faint but there.

Without context, her expression might seem like one of delight, but Camilo wasn't that naive. He knew better.

He stared at her for a long moment, so long that her tears finally began to roll down her cheeks, one by one.

"Oh," he sighed finally, still holding her shoulders uncomfortably tight. He looked down. "I get it... you do love him, don't you?"

Her body trembled, but she didn't say a word. She couldn't. Camilo tightened his grip on her shoulders, his nails digging into her flesh.

"It's okay, you don't have to say anything," he mumbled, looking down. More alarming than his low, shaky voice was that Gracie couldn't see the expression on his face.

"I don't want to know if it's true... I don't care," he continued.

Finally, he looked up. Her faint smile gave him the confidence to keep going.

"I don't care if you love him. He can't have you. Every moment of every day, I think about you. Every night, you're all I dream about... I eat, breathe, live, I die for you, Gracie. You understand that, right?"

He felt his heartbeat in his throat as they looked at each other, her tears now dripping from her chin.

"I don't know," he continued. "I don't know why you said yes to me that day under the Tree. Do you even love me now? Did you ever love me?" The questions were mostly rhetorical; he gave Gracie no room to answer. "Or do you just love that I love you this much? Do you like that the town sees me as some pathetic, miserable cuck while you run around with Santiago all day? Does that turn you on?"

He laughed dryly. "It's too late now. You said yes to me. You made me this way. I'd love to make your life easier and just fucking kill myself, but I can't. And... as long as I'm alive, you're mine."

Gracie was shaking violently, listening to his words. "You'd force my hand, you know. You'd force me to take you, kidnap you, saw off your limbs so you couldn't run from me. I'd even sew your lips shut, so you couldn't call for help. Or maybe I'd rip out your tongue."

She began to sob.

"No, don't cry, my love. It wouldn't be enough to kill you, I'd just need to make sure no one would ever find us. Not even Santiago. But don't worry, I know you wouldn't be happy that way. So please... don't make me do it. I don't want to."

She sobbed loudly now, and Camilo hugged her to his chest with tenderness and care. He stroked her hair gently.

"Shh... it's okay, love. Just stay with me, okay? Forget about Santiago. He doesn't love you as much as I do. No one does."

Her beautiful, golden eyes were almost glowing as she finally managed to nod. His heart leapt with anticipation as she spoke, "Of course, Camilo. I'll stay with you. I love you."

"Do you really mean that?" he asked.

"I do," her voice trembled as she choked out the words, but never did she sound more beautiful to Camilo. He was wearing an ear-to-ear smile now, and he wiped the nervous tears that had started welling in his eyes.

"I love you so much," he said, holding her hands again and leaning down to kiss her lips. Her tears never tasted so sweet. He let their lips linger together, enjoying this new, deeper intimacy he felt with Gracie. This moment where they were together, where Santiago was far away, where he could just be with her, hold her, keep her.

He bore his depraved heart on his sleeve, and she accepted it fully, without question. She didn't recoil or run away from him.

She really was perfect.