Chapter 15

Fior sat outside of the Café, wearing a large-brimmed hat to cover her face. It was a gloomy Saturday morning, with dark, heavy clouds, but Fior cherished the cover.

Paola and Gracie were currently on their way for an exclusive girl's day out. Fior actually felt excited for it. She'd finally mustered up the courage to leave her hotel room and she'd arrived several minutes early, not wanting to keep her friends waiting. They would hate her if she was late; they would hate her and never want to see her again. That was her worst fear.

She sat looking down at her feet, trying to make herself as small and as invisible as possible, so as to not draw any unwanted attention. Although, for Fior, all attention was unwanted attention. Ironically, her sitting stiff and still as a statue attracted several curious glances from passersby. To her blissful ignorance, she didn't notice—she never moved her eyes from her feet, and her hat shielded her perifrial vision perfectly.

"Good morning, Fi," Gracie smiled, tapping her on the shoulder. Fior hadn't heard her footsteps and screamed, loudly. She jumped up, seeing both Gracie and Paola there, and a small crowd of two or three worried onlookers.

Immediately Fior blushed, looking down again, her hands visibly shaking, "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to yell... sorry, so sorry," she apologized profusely, gripping the fabric around her chest, trying to keep her heart from popping out. Two or three onlookers turned into four or five, and she prayed they would just disappear. She prayed she herself would disappear. Fior was so focused on not running away (she'd been practing her breathing and grounding excercises), that she hadn't noticed the small crowd had disappeared after just a second or two.

"Hey, you're okay Fi," Paola laughed, pulling Fior into a big hug. Her breathing calmed slightly, and Gracie joined in on the group hug.

"I'm so happy you're here," Paola said, pulling away. She had been extra careful not to let her cheek touch Fior's, noticing the nervous sweat dotting her skin. Paola swiped her hands over her dress to clear any particles that might have rubbed off. She then checked her still perfectly white gloves, feeling satisfied. "So happy."

Paola reached into her dress pocket and pulled out a large, silver key. She unlocked the Café and they walked inside, leaving the "CLOSED" sign up on the door. Fior was grateful for the privacy.

"It's been too long Fi," Gracie linked her arm with Fior's and they walked inside together.

"I'm sorry... it's just, after Felix..." she began, taking a seat at one of the round tables near the back, away from any windows. "I needed to be by myself."

"We understand," said Paola, sitting across from her after wiping down the seat. "We're just glad you're doing alright."

Fior gave Paola a tired smile. She was doing as alright as she could be.

Gracie made her way behind the counter as the two continued chatting. She pulled a small milk cake from the fridge and cut three slices. A large one for Fior, she was a nervous eater. Paola got the smallest slice, she ate so slowly and carefully that she'd be the last one done regardless. As Gracie finished cutting her own slice, her phone began to buzz:

Camilo (10:12) Good morning, beautiful ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Camilo (10:12) Sorry I couldn't come see you this morning, Tommy's helping me out with this ChoreBunny thing

Camilo (10:13) Are you with Fior and Paola now? Did you make it okay? I hope you're having a great time ❤️

Camilo (10:15) It's JUST Fior and Paola today, right? LOL.