Chapter 30: Fragile

Carrie remained silent as she followed the Disavowed with Jago and Pemba. She rubbed the cloth covering her eyes. After her conversation with TJ, Orchid informed the trio about moving to a well-hidden area. As a precaution, Carrie, Jago, Pemba, and TJ had to wear blindfolds and hooded cloaks. Carrie listened for sounds related to their surroundings as they continued their journey.

The stillness surrounding the abandoned town was eerie, a mystery waiting to be unraveled, broken only by the faint rustling of wind through the empty streets.

“What’s this place we’re heading to, Jago?” the girl asked, tapping into her telepathy.

“Orchid mentioned the place resembling an abandoned church,” the monk said. “It’ll serve as a refuge for us and allow us to plan our next move. Also, her faction used it as a base.”

Despite wearing a blindfold, Carrie sensed the group stopping. A lack of steps and shuffling gave her a clue they had reached the church. A knock followed, and seconds later, the door opened.

“How many orchid species remain after acid rain destruction?” a male French-accented voice asked.

Orchid cleared her throat. “28,000 species exist worldwide. Despite losing some, many have survived and adjusted to the changing climate.”

“Ah, you made it with our guests,” the voice said. “Right this way.”

Carrie was slow to respond when someone tapped her back, telling her to move. Upon hearing Orchid’s order to remove the blindfold and hood, Carrie gasped as she gazed at the scene.

The once majestic structure stood before her, a captivating sight; its grandeur faded and marred by time. Its walls, adorned with peeling frescoes, depicted scenes from ancient stories whose meaning had long faded. Sunlight streamed through shattered windows, casting red, blue, and gold hues onto the dusty floor. The pews, once filled with devoted worshippers, now lay in disarray, their velvet cushions frayed and torn.

“Alright, everyone, get settled in. Also, I want security around the perimeter.” Orchid then spotted Carrie, still looking around like a lost child. With Jago, Pemba, and TJ distracted by helping the agents or exploring the area, she saw an opportunity to engage the shy teenager. “Do you like the place? I figured it might fit your style.”

Startled by the older woman’s presence, Carrie found her voice. “It’s… different. What kind of church is this?”

“This was once an Orthodox Christian Church.”

“Orthodox?”

“Your mother never mentioned other Christian branches, didn’t she?”

“My mother and I didn’t have an ideal relationship. She takes religion too far.”

“Hm. Religion is a complex matter. It can be a source of comfort and solace or conflict and pain. It comes down to how someone interprets it, which is why I’m grateful to be an atheist.”

“You don’t believe in God?”

Orchid shrugged. “Not in the traditional sense. I trust humanity’s power and ability to shape our destiny. Connections and impact give my life meaning. As for a higher power guiding our every move? I don’t buy into that, but I respect those who adhere to higher forces.”

“I see. Um, I should check if Jago needs help.”

“Of course. I look forward to more chats between us.”

Swallowing, Carrie walked away. Though calm on the outside, she trembled with fear.

***