Chapter 16: Fateful Encounter

Two little boys sat on the couch, excited; one was ten, and the other was five. A bowl of popcorn smothered in caramel sat between them. Their parents saved enough money to purchase a pay-per-view event. The timing was ideal, as WrestleMania returned. Like an annual ritual, the boys awaited the event.

"I can't wait for my favorite wrestler to arrive!" the younger boy said.

His older brother threw a piece of popcorn into his mouth. "You and me both."

"What will happen this year?"

"Not sure. WrestleMania gets crazy every year."

"Hey, brother? Remember that assignment the teacher gave us about what we'll do once we grow up?"

"We still need to finish it."

"Don't worry. It's the weekend, so we have time. I decided what I wanted to be: a wrestler."

"Like on TV?"

"Yeah. Either that or be a boxer."

The older boy mused about his brother's future careers. "Boxing is iffy for me. Now, a wrestler, it's easy to picture that. Still, were wrestlers injured in their matches?"

The younger boy slapped his older brother's shoulder. "No way! Wrestling is a scripted sport. Same with boxing."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, it's not like anyone got killed."

"I agree! So, what do you want to be?"

"Beats me."

"Maybe you should become a wrestler too. Think about it: we'll be The Wrestling Brothers!"

"The name has some appeal. Hey, the show's about to start."

"Yay! WrestleMania, let's go!"

***

June 30, 2013

A thick blanket of grey clouds shrouded the sky above Seven Devils, Idaho, blocking the sun and casting a long, dark shadow over the countryside.

The air was still and silent, with the occasional bird chirping, hidden from view.

A loud thunderous boom followed the lightning flash.

The trees swayed in the wind while the river flowed unaffected by the upcoming storm. Crows cawed in the distance, their cries echoing.

Driving on the road, Hinmatoom remained in his world. About 6'4 and weighing 295 pounds, the Nez Perce man was like a mountain. Strands of his long black hair lingered around his forehead. His eyes, raw and red from crying, stared into the horizon.

His life hasn't been the same since his brother's disappearance. A few years ago, Tipyeléhne competed in the Killer Instinct tournament. His goal was to expose Ultratech's crimes on their tribe's land.

Though Hinmatoom opposed the idea, he supported him. However, their last banter didn't end well.

You're paranoid based on emotions and superstition.