CHAPTER 8

Crisis Of Conscience

The friends suddenly remembered what happened at dawn before their classes. The group of friends sat together in the common room, the tension in the air was palpable.

They were all too aware of the approaching deadline, and the weight of the upcoming presentation loomed heavily over them.
Suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

Ellie opened it to reveal Caius, one of the first reporters, looking visibly distressed.

"Caius, what's wrong?" Ellie asked, concern evident in her voice.

Caius stepped inside, his face pale. "I need to talk to you all," he said, his voice trembling. "It's about the sacrifice."

Viego motioned for him to sit down, and Caius took a seat, his hands shaking. "We decided on who to sacrifice," he began, his voice barely above a whisper. "But... it's not what we expected."

"What do you mean?" Czisco asked, leaning forward.

"The sacrifice isn't just a symbolic gesture," Caius explained, his eyes wide with fear. "It's real. The chosen one has to die for the rest of us to succeed."

The friends exchanged shocked glances, the gravity of the situation hitting them like a ton of bricks. The room fell silent as they absorbed Caius's words.

"Who did you choose?" France asked quietly.

Caius looked down at his hands, his voice barely audible. "We chose Mark. He volunteered, but now he's having second thoughts."

"This is insane," Calle said, his voice filled with anger. "We can't go through with this. There has to be another way."

"We don't have a choice," Caius said, his voice breaking. "If Mark refuses, we'll all be in danger."

Ellie stood up, her eyes blazing with determination. "We have to find a way to break the curse without sacrificing anyone. We can't let this continue."

Czisco nodded in agreement. "We need to work together. If we can weaken the entity, maybe we can break the curse."

"But how?" Caius asked, desperation in his voice. "We don't have enough time."

Viego placed a reassuring hand on Caius's shoulder. "We'll figure it out," he said, his voice steady. "We'll find a way to stop this."

As they continued to discuss their plan, the room grew colder, and the whispers returned, filling the air with a sense of urgency.

"We need to act quickly," Viego said, his voice firm. "We can't let fear control us."

The friends nodded, their resolve hardening. They knew the road ahead would be perilous, but they were willing to face whatever challenges lay in their path.

The next day, the air in the lecture hall was thick with anticipation as the groups prepared to present their sacrifices. The friends knew that the moment of truth had arrived, and they prayed that they would find a way to break the curse without losing anyone.

As the professor called Caius's group to the front, Viego's heart pounded in his chest. He knew that the stakes had never been higher, and he prayed that they would find a way to stop the madness.