Chapter - 2

Ella woke up with a knot of nerves in her stomach, the day ahead looming heavy with anticipation and dread. After a quick breakfast and a final glance at her notes, she left her apartment, determined to face whatever challenges awaited her.

The first two interviews had been disappointing—politely worded rejections masked as vague promises of consideration. Still, Ella pressed on, her resolve unshaken as she approached the building for her third interview of the day.

Inside, the receptionist greeted her with a polite smile and directed her to the conference room where the interview would take place. Ella took a deep breath, adjusting her portfolio one last time before stepping inside.

The room was typical corporate decor—immaculate and impersonal. She greeted the interviewer—a middle-aged man with a slick smile and an air of entitlement—as she took a seat across from him. "Good morning, Miss Ella. I'm Mr. Thompson," he said, extending a hand.

"Good morning, Mr. Thompson," she replied, shaking his hand firmly.

The interview started off innocuously enough, with questions about her experience and skills. Ella answered confidently, trying to ignore the subtle shifts in Mr. Thompson's demeanor. His gaze lingered too long, his compliments veering into uncomfortable territory.

"You have an impressive resume, Ella," Mr. Thompson said, his tone suddenly intimate. "But we also value interpersonal skills. How do you handle... challenging situations?"

Ella's stomach clenched. She knew where this was going, but she maintained her professional demeanor. "I approach challenges with a focus on finding solutions and maintaining a positive working environment," she replied, her voice steady.

Mr. Thompson leaned forward, his smile turning predatory. "I think we need to discuss more than just your professional skills, don't you?"

Her heart raced with a mixture of anger and fear. She couldn't believe this was happening again. "I'm here to discuss my qualifications for the position," she stated firmly, her grip tightening on her pen.

Mr. Thompson's expression hardened, his eyes narrowing. "Come on, Ella," he said, his voice low and insistent. "You and I both know there's more to this than just qualifications."

In that moment, Ella's survival instincts kicked in. Without hesitation, she lunged forward, aiming for his hand with her pen. The sharp tip pierced his skin, and he cried out in pain, jerking his hand away.

"I said, this interview is over," Ella declared, her voice trembling with adrenaline and anger.

Mr. Thompson stared at her, shock and fury warring on his face. For a moment, Ella feared his reaction, but he seemed too stunned to retaliate immediately. "Get out," he finally spat, his injured hand cradled against his chest.

Ella grabbed her portfolio and hurried out of the room, her pulse thundering in her ears. She couldn't believe what had just happened, but she refused to let herself break down. She had stood up for herself, fought back against harassment, and walked away with her dignity intact.

Outside the building, Ella leaned against the wall, shaking with a mix of relief and anger. She had come to this city seeking opportunities, not to be preyed upon by men like Mr. Thompson. But amidst the turmoil, there was a flicker of pride—a reminder of her strength and resilience in the face of adversity.

As she made her way home, Ella replayed the events in her mind, trying to process the whirlwind of emotions. She knew this wouldn't be the last time she faced such challenges, but she also knew she had the strength to overcome them.