chapter 6

My legs were burning from the exertion of running. Tears were streaming down my face but I couldn't stop.

I still heard his voice behind me, calling out my name.

Why was he chasing me? And what would happen if he caught me?

I turned my head as I ran to check if i could see him behind me, but as I did my foot caught on ground and I went tumbling to the ground.

I let out a cry as I fell to the cement, scraping my legs and the palms of my hand as I tried to break my fall.

I crumbled. Unable to stand from exhaustion I curled into a small ball.

I stayed like that for an unknown amount of time. My tears had run dry and I simply felt tired. Tired and numb.

I heard footsteps coming towards me but didn't have the energy to look at who it was. Let them take me. I was so so tired.

"Oh baby."

Warm arms scooped me up and I found myself leaning into their hold.

"You're okay. I'm not going to hurt you."

Lorenzo. He had found me. Again.

Only this time I didn't want to fight against him. I wanted to believe his words. I almost did.

And even if they were a lie, I didn't have it in me to go against him.

"Lorenzo." His name slipped out of my lips unknowingly.

"I'm here, Nora. I'm here, it's okay." His hand ran through my hair, holding me closer to him.

When we finally got back to his car he stopped outside of it.

"Nora. Baby, look at me."

I did. I turned my face up and saw his, all shadowed and angular looking down at me with concern.

"I'm going to put you back in my car, okay? I'll just take you home. That's all i'm going to do. I'll get you home safe. Okay?"

I wanted to resist. I didn't want to go home. For some odd reason I wanted to stay with him, but that was crazy. I knew i needed to get home or father would be mad. And I was already putting Lorenzo out.

I nodded my head slightly.

"Words please."

"O-okay."

He stared at me for a moment longer, eyes searching mine, before he opened the door and softly deposited me back in the passenger seat.

The drive home was quiet after I told him where I lived.

I tried to keep my eyes down but they kept wanting to roam back to the man next to me.

His hands were gripping the steering wheel, knuckles white from holding on so tight.

I didn't know what to say. If i should apologize more or thank him. He never seemed to like my apologies and I wondered if he wanted me to beg like father has me do.

"Nora?"

"Y-yes?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you earlier. I just got- I was mad, but it wasn't at you, okay? It's those marks on you, you shouldn't have bruises like that and I just- I lost control. I apologize."

He was apologizing to me? I didn't understand it. He seemed so sincere, so worried about saying the right thing.

"Y-you don't need t-to apologize to me." I told him.

"I do, I scared you. That wasn't my intention."

I didn't know what to say. Should i say anything? No man had ever apologized to me like this. My first thought was that it was a trap but some part of me knew it wasn't. Or maybe I was just hoping it wasn't.

"Those marks, Nora. I need to know who put them there."

No, no, no. He needed to stop asking questions. That was father's one rule. Never tell anyone or else something very bad would happen. I couldn't tell him.

I shook my head looking out the window.

"Nora, please baby. Tell me how you got those."

"I-I c-can't." I squeaked out.

"Why not? Hm? All of these can't be from those men earlier. Some of these bruises are older. Did someone do this to you? Did someone put their hands on you?"

He was getting mad again, his tone caught between placated calm and anger ready to bubble over.

"N-no, it was n-no one. An accident."

"An accident?" His words were clipped.

"Y-yes."

"Hm."

I turned to him. He was nodding his head slowly as if thinking over my words. His jaw was clenched so hard I thought it might break.

"I don't like lies, Nora." His lethally calm voice gave my skin goosebumps.

"I-I'm n-not lying."

"Don't. If you won't tell me now, at least don't lie to my face. But I will find out Nora. Even if you don't tell me."

His words were serious and his tone was final. I didn't understand why he wanted to know so badly, why he even cared at all.

I focused my stare back out the window. We were almost to my house. The thought made my stomach drop but at least I knew what to expect once I got home. Here, in this car with this man, I never knew what was going to happen.

I needed to get away from his watchful eyes. I felt as though they saw right through me.

"Give me your phone."

"M-my phone?" I questioned.

"Please."

"I-I don't h-have one."

"Fuck." He ran his hand through his hair.

Why did he want my phone? Even if i did have one, which father would never let me anyway, what would he want to do with it.

"Will you be at work tomorrow?" His voice was strained.

"Y-yes."

"Good."

He said nothing more as he pulled onto my street and up to my house. Once he parked the car he turned to look at me.

"Nora I-" He cut himself off. "I'll see you soon. Be safe for me, okay?"

"O-okay Lorenzo. T-thank you s-so much for driving me. I'm sorry-"

"None of that Nora. It was nothing, you don't need to thank me and don't you dare apologize again."

"Okay" I blushed. "Bye Lorenzo!" I gave him a small smile and a wave as I climbed out of the car.

"Goodbye Nora."