005. beautifully, horrible dream

beautifully, horrible dream

somnia sint in praeteritum sed numquam oblivione – the nightmares may be in the past but they are never forgotten

Camila was anxious the next morning. She took her time getting ready, refusing to leave her room until the very last second. After leaving Rex in the living room with her guards, last night, she couldn't bring herself to go to bed. He was on the front of her mind. The look on his face when he saw her, when he saw Alba. The words that left his mouth. But all the lies, all the truths, all the memories, all the nightmares , were there too. Haunting her. To say she was anxious was an understatement. In truth, Camila was terrified. She secretly had her fingers crossed that it was all a dream. A beautifully horrible dream!

She couldn't drag it out anymore and she knew Alba was awake, having heard the young girl's voice and her running footsteps, followed by Nanij's quiet laughter, in the hallway. Camila hoped Rex wasn't up but she knew he would be. He was a soldier.

The Senator locks eyes with Inej, who had joined her not long ago. The handmaiden gives her a small smile and Camila nods slightly.

"Let's do this." She mutters, before opening the door and stepping out into the hallway, Inej just behind her.

The pink and yellow flowery skirt trails on the ground behind her as she walks to the dining room. It is attached to a simple bodice with a halter neck, adorned in silver gems. Her shoulders are bare, with the sleeves attached instead to the bodice under her armpits. They were baggy, falling loosely around her wrists, silver chains looped around the top. Matching silver bracelets adorn her wrists with several silver gemmed rings to decorate her fingers. Her brunette curls are pulled up into a slightly messy but sophisticated updo, curly strands falling down to frame her face. Several hooped and gemmed piercings cover her ears, finalising the Senator's regal but young look.

Rex's eyes are on her as soon as she enters the dining room. He's sat a few seats down from where she usually sits beside the head of the table. Camila always refuses to sit at the head of table, believing that despite her being a senator she wouldn't make her family feel any lesser than her and that everyone in the room were her equals, despite their status. The brunette sits beside her daughter, determined to ignore Rex as his eyes burn into the side of her face. She greets Alba with a bright smile and a cheerful 'good morning' that surprises Rex after last night's events. He smiles himself, though, when the little girl greets her mother just as cheerfully and gives her a hug before going back to eating her eggs.

Camila surprises herself when she turns her head away from her daughter and to Alba's father, a small smile still gracing her features.

"Good morning." She says, quietly. Rex raises his eyebrows slightly, in surprise, and even Alba falls quiet.