Chapter 3: Rue Seawright

As the engagement dinner went on, each passing minute felt like an eternity. The hall was full of formality that I wasn’t used to. It was different compared to the wild carefree life aboard my family’s pirate ship. Although amidst the polished decor, there was murmured conversation, and it felt like I was trapped in a cage.  

My fingers nervously fidgeted with the silky fabric of my gown, I felt confined as the social expectations pressed down on me. The corset seemed to tighten with every breath I took, it was a physical reminder of the marriage that would bind me further to this unfamiliar world. Every time I glanced around the table, I caught George’s eye. His expression was full of curiosity and sympathy, which mirrored the unease inside me.  

As the evening got closer to its end, King Adam made an unexpected offer, “Would you care for a tour of the palace, my dear?” His voice was full of politeness, and I could sense some reluctance, as though he was avoiding the healer elves that his sons worriedly mentioned earlier.  

I forced a polite unfamiliar smile and stole a quick glance in my father's direction, he held an unreadable expression so I replied, “I would like that, I wouldn’t want to be getting lost.” 

We strolled through the corridors adorned with gold frames and marble statues. The king told tales of past royal weddings that took place and the alliances that came with it. Each story he told reminded me of the picture-perfect life the royals seemed to live. A life that I was destined to enter even if it wasn’t my choice.  

Lost in thought, it took a moment for me to notice Ellette, the vigilant queen’s guard, who happened to be discreetly trailing behind us. Her presence, though unspoken, also spoke volumes about the Queen’s distrust toward me. 

"Shouldn’t I be escorting you to the healers?” I asked, breaking the comfortable silence between us, getting a chuckle from the king that showed his warmth as he glanced at me. 

"You remembered that did you? My sons believe it’s the end of the world,” he remarked quietly, his tone was tinged with affection for his sons.  

“Personally, I can understand their concern.” I admit, vulnerability evident in my voice. Memories started to stir in me – back from my mother’s illness, the way I felt so helpless when it happened despite her constant reassurances of being fine, “When my mother fell ill, I was about ten. She always said that she was okay, but one day she was gone. Just like that. So, I understand why your sons would worry. Sometimes, even when someone says that they’re fine, they might not be. Even if they know it or not.”  

King Adam fell silent for a moment, his expression softened with empathy, “I’m sorry to hear that, my dear,” he murmured sincerely, “Perhaps you could accompany me to the healer elves. We can continue our conversation along the way. I’d like to hear more about your kingdom” 

As we turned down another corridor, we walked in silence for a while. Thoughts raced through my mind- of the sea, my sister, my life I knew so well and yet was asked to leave behind for this future I’m being forced into.  

"Well, our castle is quite different,” I began, finally finding my voice admits the silence of the corridors, “It’s set on a small island in the middle of the ocean, designed in shades of blue to blend in. My sister resides there mostly, but for my father and I, our home is the ship. We’re sailors, and we’re rarely anchored in one place for long."

King Adam listened intently, his demeanor encouraging as I spoke of my life that was shaped around the beautiful waves and salty air, “Pirates must enjoy the freedom of the open sea,” he mused, causing me to consider it.  

"At first yes,” I confess, a small smile forming on my lips, “Sailing was everything to me. But as time passed, it became routine. I love trying new foods, experiencing distinct cultures, but two days on an island hardly suffices. It’s tough that I’m always transit and never fully anchored.” 

The king chuckled warmly, the sound made me relax and my shoulders fell. With each step we took, the distance between the formality of the banquet hall, and the warmth of this conversation widened. The grand doors ahead meant the arrival of our destination- a place full of healing. 

The guards ceremoniously opened the massive wooden doors, revealing a sight that left me breathless. The infirmary within was a vision of luxury, beds adorned with silk and graceful elves with perfectly pointed ears attended to the patients inside. This was a stark contrast to the rough and ready medical quarters aboard our ship.  

“This is incredible,” I murmured, awestruck by the elegance and calm atmosphere that filled the room. 

 “The healer elves are renowned for their skill,” King Adam explained, a note of pride in his voice, “They ensure that our health and well-being are in capable and skilled hands.” 

As we approached one of the beds, I couldn’t help but notice all the contrast between the setting and the makeshift care I had grown accustomed to at sea. The elves moved with quiet efficiency, their demeanor calm and reassuring. It was a world apart from the hurried bandaging and panic of our ship’s medic.  

King Adam seemed to sense my curiosity, and he gestured to a nearby elf, “This is Lady Annabeth, she oversees much of the healing here. Lady Annabeth, this is Princess Rue, she is soon to join our royal family.” 

Lady Annabeth looked at me with a curiosity that was almost gentle, her eyes were reflecting wisdom, “Welcome Princess Rue,” she greeted warmly, her voice soothing, “If there is anything you wish to know about our healing practices, or if you have any concerns about your health, please do not hesitate to come to me.” 

I quickly nod with gratitude, overwhelmed by the graciousness that extended to me. Despite my outsider status. Although King Adam remained nearby, a silent pillar of support to this newfound world I’m forced to be in.