Sixteen

Standing in the full body mirror, Riley smiles at her reflection

Standing in the full body mirror, Riley smiles at her reflection. The baby blue dress covering her body, the Leo constellation necklace adorning her neck, and the bright, shiny ring resting on her right ring finger. With the volleyball season over - and another champion title to add - the last thing left in her college career is graduation.

Riley is nervous for what's to come next. She's never really thought about what to do. She knows she wants to stay in Los Angeles. She enjoys being a dispatcher. But that can't be it, can it? She worked for four years to get her mathematics degree. She could become a teacher, or a research analyst, or an accountant. She could go live somewhere new and exotic.

Loren appears to her right in the mirror, dressed head to toe in golden yellow. "This is it, Blondie. Our last moment together." Riley's smile softens. Loren has been her roommate - and friend - since freshman year. She can't imagine going on without her. "Ready?"

Riley places the cap onto her head, fixing her hair one last time. "Ready."

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

Pushing past bodies, Riley maneuvers through the other graduates trying to find Loren. The two had already said goodbye before leaving for their seats, knowing it would most likely be difficult to find one another after the ceremony. And with Loren leaving almost immediately after with her parents, Riley knew seeing her would be a long shot. But the roommates did promise to meet again soon.

"Spike!"

Stopping her search, Riley turns to her left. Waving their arms - with one of them jumping up and down excitedly - is Josh and Maddie. Grinning, Riley sprints to meet her friends, jumping into Josh's arms the second she's close. "I can't believe you're here!" Riley had only mentioned graduating in passing, never expecting for them to actually come.

She moves on to embrace Maddie, the woman rocking them side to side. "We would never miss this. You mean too much to us."

Riley's heart swells at her words. She never had many people in her life. Her mom, siblings, and grandparents yeah. And Dallin for a little bit in high school. But after the accident and moving to California, her grandparents were all that's left. She's not super close to anyone on the team - except for Loren, obviously - and she never cared to make friends. But this last year has changed a lot for her. She's gained more people to love and care for that have proven time and time again they love and care for her as well. It's a great feeling.

"My grandparents are going to be glad you're here." Riley tells them. "They've been asking about you guys for a couple months." When she turns behind her to look for her grandparents, she's face to face with three different people.

Athena, Buck, and her dad stand before her. The men with their hands in their front pockets and Athena the one offering a small smile. "I hope you don't mind. Maddie mentioned the other day you were graduating, and we wanted to congratulate you."

Riley tries not to let her face show how uncomfortable she is. She hasn't seen the couple since Christmas and Buck since visiting him in the hospital almost two weeks ago. He looks good, tired and she can see the sadness lingering in his eyes, but good in a I'm-alive way.

"I'm proud of you, Riles."

The blonde barely flinches at the name before multiple arms are wrapping around her. "Riley girl! I'm so proud of you!" Those words coming from her grandfather mean everything to her.

There's a tense silence when her grandparents pull away, spotting the five strangers surrounding them. Her grandmother tries to offer warm smiles to Maddie and Josh, who she's now finally met, but her grandfather doesn't remove his glare from her dad.

"What the hell are you doing here?" The entire group is frozen, their eyes moving between the two men. Riley's grandmother softly places her hand on her husband's arm. He takes a breath, but the fire in his eyes doesn't wither.

"I just wanted to congratulate my daughter-"

"Your daughter?" Her grandfather scoffs. "Now she's your daughter? What about six years ago? Or eight? You haven't let her be your daughter for years."

Bobby is still, his eyes flicker from his ex father-in-law to the blonde before him. Riley averts her stare to the ground.

Her grandmother is the one to talk, trying to free everyone from this uncomfortable situation. "You should leave, Bobby."

Riley doesn't watch as he follows the instruction, Athena going with him. Her gaze moves from the grass under her feet to the blonde man across from her.

Seeing her stare, her grandmother takes her grandfather by the arm to properly introduce themselves to her friends, leaving her and Buck at least a little privacy.

"You came."

"Of course." Buck shrugs. "You talked about this moment so much, I couldn't miss it."

Riley smiles. "Thank you, for coming. It means a lot."

Buck grins, removing his hand from his pocket to rub the back of his neck. "I'd do anything for you."

The blush spreads over her fast, warming her face. With a deep breath, Riley motions to her grandparents. "We're going to Chili's after this. Do you want to come?"

Her grin shines bright when he agrees.