𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝

one year later

one year later

the small town diner was bustling with weekend activity. the clinking of silverware against plates, the hum of conversations, and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee filled the air.

sabrina and tina had made it their weekend ritual to meet here, a comforting routine amidst the whirlwind of culinary school and life changes.

sabrina glanced around the familiar diner, taking in the checkered floor, the red vinyl booths, and the friendly face of nancy, the waitress who always greeted them with a smile.

today, however, there was a sense of anticipation that tinged sabrina’s every thought. she had news to share, and it was the kind that would change everything.

tina sat across from her, stirring her coffee absently. her bright eyes sparkled with the excitement of the weekend, but sabrina knew that the conversation they were about to have would dim that sparkle, if only for a moment.

“so,” tina began, her voice cheerful, “any big plans for the weekend? more culinary experiments?” sabrina smiled, though it didn’t quite reach her eyes.

she took a deep breath, steeling herself for the conversation ahead.

“actually, tina, there’s something i need to tell you.” tina raised an eyebrow, setting her coffee cup down. “what’s up? you look serious.”

sabrina looked down at her hands, fingers tracing the edge of her napkin.

“i’ve decided to go back to tulsa.” the words hung in the air between them, heavy and significant. tina blinked, processing what sabrina had just said. “wait, what? you’re leaving?”

sabrina nodded, finally meeting tina’s gaze. “yes. i’ve been thinking about it for a while, and i feel like it’s time for me to go home. i miss everyone, and i’ve realized that tulsa is where i need to be right now.”

tina’s initial shock was quickly replaced by concern and understanding. “but what about culinary school? you’ve been doing so well here.”

“i know,” sabrina said, her voice steady. “and i’m grateful for everything i’ve learned. but i also know that i need to be back with my family and friends. they’re a big part of who i am, and i miss them more than i can say.”

tina leaned back in her seat, letting out a slow breath. “wow, this is... i didn’t see this coming. when are you leaving?” “tonight,” sabrina replied. “i have a train ticket, and i’ll be on the first one out of here.” tina’s eyes widened. “tonight? sabrina, that’s so soon.”

"i know,” sabrina said, reaching across the table to squeeze tina’s hand. “and i’m sorry i didn’t tell you sooner. i just... i needed to make sure it was the right decision.”

tina squeezed back, her expression softening. “i get it. i really do. it’s just... i’m going to miss you so much.” “i’ll miss you too,” sabrina said, her voice thick with emotion.