(13) Kat

Season 2, Episode 1: What Lies Ahead

October 9th, Day 66

THE GROUP WERE riding on the roads and out of the city.

“We were just thinking about our trip to the Grand Canyon with Carl.” Lori announced, looking at Rory through the mirror. “Have you ever been to it?”

“It's very cool,” Rick smiled, looking back out.

“I don’t remember that.” Carl leaned forward.

It was cramped in the car and they could barely breathe. Rory was perched on Carol's lap, resting her head against the window.

They left a few cars behind yesterday, so now they didn't have many options – well, technically, there was the RV but she wanted to be nowhere near Andrea…

She didn't quite understand what was happening with Dale or Andrea, and Kat didn't seem to mind as she rested on the console. Lori seemed a bit too happy for someone who just witnessed the CDC blowing up.

“No, you wouldn’t.” Lori told him, turning back to meet his eyes with a faint smile. “You were just a baby.”

“Was it far away?” Rory asked, looking over at Carl. “I'd get car sick.”

“It was. And besides, we never made it past Fort Worth.”

Rick laughed softly. “No, you got sick. I never knew a baby could throw up so much.”

“Ick.” Carl exclaimed from next to Sophia.

“Yeah, ick.” Lori agreed. “The doctor in Texas said you’d live. Then we turned and drove home.”

Carl frowned a little. “That sucks.”

“No, it was a good trip.” Lori insisted, reaching over to grab Rick's hand.

Rick squeezed her hand gently. “The best.”

Rory rolled her eyes and turned to Kat, Rick and Lori seemed more closer than before. She chose not to question.

“Can we go see it?” Carl asked, once again leaning over Kat and causing the feline to growl. “The Grand Canyon? I’d like to.”

“I would too.” Sophia piped up. “Can we go?”

“Me too,” Rory grinned.

Rick glanced back at the kids. “We’d never go without you girls or your mom. That’s a promise.”

After Carol had saved them all with that grenade, she was probably Rick's top ten favorites. He suggested that Sophia and Carol ride with them. He was extremely grateful for them – so was Rory.

“Oh, god,” Lori whispered in sheer horror, eyes wide as she stared out of the window.

Rory glanced out the window and looked at Lori. Abandoned cars were everywhere. Some were open, some shut and a few ripped open. Suitcases laid everywhere. Outfits, toys, baby stuff… so much stuff.

Nicky looked out the window of the RV, standing beside Andrea. She had been watching Shane teach Andrea his guns. Her eyes fixated, just as Andrea's.

“Oh jeez. Aw no.” The sound of Dale's troubled voice brought Nicky back to reality. She nodded in agreement, looking outside, just as the RV stopped. He mumbled to himself before looking at Daryl – that stupid redneck – who was on his bike. “See a way through?” he asked. Daryl nodded or something, and drove in front of them, leading them through the wreck. The RV slowly crept forward, and everyone was concerned, of course, they stopped; the radiator hose.