(14) For Whom The Bell Tolls

Season 2, Episode 1: What Lies Ahead

October 10th, Day 67

KAT HADN'T RETURNED. It was a day later and Rory was even more devastated, mourning her best friend; like she was already dead. Rick had gone out to look but didn't find the feline. Kat was gone – all alone in the woods. Rick and Daryl couldn't find any trace of her.

Everyone was thinking the same, that she was gone forever. Rory didn't sleep at all, knowing her friend was likely dead or lost. Sophia tried to comfort her. Rory didn't stop crying all night, just wanting her friend back.

Rick spread a lot of weapons across the car. There were knives and blunt objects.
“Everybody takes a weapon.” he stated, rolling out an arsenal that his son found. They were all going to look for Kat, all of them. Everyone was happy to help, but Andrea was pissed.

Andrea placed her hands on her hips, frowning at Rick. “These aren't the kind of weapons we need.” she argued, placing a hand on her hip and shifting her weight to one foot. “What about the guns?”

“We've been over that.” Shane looked up from fiddling with his gun. “Daryl, Rick and I are carrying. We can't have people popping off rounds every time a tree rustles.”

“It's not the trees I'm worried about.” Andrea countered.

Shane ran a hand over his head, groaning at the blonde's relentlessness. “Say somebody fires at the wrong moment, a herd happens to be passing by. See, then it's game over for all of us. So you need to get over it.”

Rory grabbed her machete from her belt. The jacket was perfect enough to conceal it. She hadn't used it yet, however, she didn't care about anything but Kat. Though, T-Dog was staying behind. He had suffered a severe cut when the herd was passing by. They cleaned him, gut couldn't do much, and he was becoming infected, so they were letting him rest for some days.

Rory would be happy to go out and look for Kat instead of staying behind.

“No,” Daryl ordered, glaring at her. “Yer not comin’.”

“Yes I am,” Rory said, gripping the machete. “I don't want to stay. She's my friend. I'm helping. I failed to protect her, so I want to make it up to her.”

Daryl tilts his head. “Where did ya get that thing? The arsenal?”

She shook her head. “Found it.”

“No. It's dangerous.”

“It's dangerous without it.”

“Yer six!” Daryl scoffed. “Yer still a tiny girl-”

“So is Kat!” Rory countered. “If she could fight, she'd be here right now. She couldn't do anything to protect herself. Just like me when I almost got eaten.”

Daryl narrowed his eyes. He didn't argue, so he shook his head. “Whatever, but be careful. Got it? Only use it whenever ya need to. Until I show ya how to use it properly.”

Rory nodded reluctantly. “Fine. As long as I can find Kat.”

“Everybody assemble your packs. Keep on those repairs. We've got to get this R.V. ready to move.”

Rory went to leave with the others. They all grouped up, about to go.

“Lori?” Rick called from over at the RV where he was standing with Dale and Carl. “He says he wants to come. What do you think?”

Lori sighed softly, glancing from the kids. “Your call. I can't always be the bad guy. Apparently, Rory's coming. So is Nicky.”

“Well, they have all of you to look after them.” Dale spoke up. “ say they're in good hands.”