CHAPTER FORTY TWO

The sound of the cart had strangely become soothing. Everyone was silent as they shook in accordance to the movement of the cart. Waki held Muma in a motherly and caring embrace. He was still unconscious, his eyes closed but his bony chest moving up and down. His body stunk but it didn't seem to bother Ranadi who was looking at the small opening that let light into the dark cart. Her father throwing himself into the fire replayed over and over again in her mind. She had expected to have gotten used to it but every time the memory replayed itself, it hurt even more. When she couldn't hold the pain any longer, she let go and tears flowed from her eyes which Waki saw. She didn't ask or push for details as she had seen in Ranadi's eyes that he was dead.

Ranadi wanted to scream and cry, but she couldn't as that would draw attention to the cart that was approaching the gate. All sorts of emotions flooded her. She was scared yet angry. She wanted to avenge her father but she had seen him clearly throw himself in the fire. It wasn't her uncle's fault, she knew that but she blamed him nonetheless. She needed him to take the blame for it was easier that way. For a moment, she glared at Muma. Maybe it's his fault, she thought, but one look at him had melted that thought into nothing. He was miserable, weak, hopeless, full of pain and grief. She saw that he carried more pain than she could ever know and that calmed her a little. At least someone else was suffering more than her.

As she sat staring at Muma, drawn by his pain, she realized that the black guard was gone. She had been too distracted in her loss that she hadn't realized the two had separated. It was better that way. The Amathu hated the black guards more than anything and it wouldn't have ended well if he had been among them. She heard the cart slow down until it stopped. They had reached the gate.

'Why are you not in the king's meeting?' Ranadi heard a harsh voice ask.

'Well...' The trader chuckled, though nervously. 'I have a family that the king won't feed.'

It was silent for a while. Ranadi however didn't feel tensed or afraid like her mother was. She was confident that Lua wouldn't let them get caught after the long way they had come. And she was right, the cart was let to pass without being inspected. The sound of the gates being opened followed as the cart began to move.

After a moment of riding, the trader tapped the cart. 'You can come out now,' he said as he removed the cover of the cart. Ranadi immediately closed her eyes when the bright sunlight attacked her eyes. When she finally opened her eyes, she was met by the most beautiful scenery. It was green all over. There were many trees and grass that covered the land. Birds and insects were flying all over and the air was so clean and cool. Even the sun seemed to be different. Not even realizing it, a smile found its way onto her lips. It almost felt like her soul was calm and for a moment, all the troubles she had disappeared. She was free, her father's death and the followers forgotten.

'By the gods, its beautiful.' Ranadi heard her mother say. Just like her, she had a smile on her face as she looked around them. The city was visible, its walls towering over the vicinity yet to them, it was forgotten. The skies were even more visible than ever, without walls and tall buildings making it hard to see them. Looking around, the city felt unnatural, as if it wasn't supposed to be there. Even the gardens of the city felt unreal compared to the environment around them. A cool breeze blew and leaves, trees and bushes began to move and a part deep in them was touched, a connection they hadn't known was there became activated.

'Is he...' Waki hesitated for a moment. 'Is he really dead?'

Ranadi could only nod. How could she tell her mother that her husband had willingly thrown himself into the fire? She knew it was better if she was the one to tell her rather than her finding out by herself, but she couldn't. She was a coward, something she had never known about herself. Even though she hated the feeling, she still didn't tell her.