Ch. 1: Shocking Discovery

Maka fell to the ground, with Soul not far behind her.

'How the hell is this a remedial lesson?' Maka thought, feeling the pain from Stein's wavelength attack.

Her, Soul, Black Star, and Tsubaki were given this because of their latest failed mission and were losing like never before!

"You are putting up a bigger fight then I expected." Stein said, "Expected from someone such as you... I'm sure your parents would be proud... well... maybe not your mother."

This got Maka's blood boiling.

"Don't you talk about my mother!" she shouted.

"Why not? You aren't even using the greatest power you have, the power she gave you." Stein said, wheeling over and whispering, "Come on, let go of your Soul Protect. Give me a real challenge."

Maka's eyes widened.

"Y-y-you know-"

"Indeed." Stein said, turning his screw, "I also know that's the reason you fail at doing Soul Resonance, because you know your partner would find out the truth if you did."

"Get away from her." Soul said, struggling to get up from the ground. "Get your hands off my meister."

"Why don't you make me?" Stein asked Soul.

Soul ran at Stein, but was quickly and easily flipped to the ground.

"Soul!" Maka screamed.

Stein watched with a smirk, grabbing his cigarette out of his mouth. Maka ran over to Soul.

"Soul, are you okay!?" She asked.

"Ugh, damn bastard." Soul muttered, "We need to beat him... I just don't know how."

"I... I do." Maka said, "I need you to turn into a scythe... and please... trust me."

Soul gave Maka a strange look, but listened. He turned into his weapon form and Maka grabbed him. She looked at Stein with an angry look.

"You wanted a fight? Fine." Maka said, "Soul Protect... Release!"

A white glow surrounded Maka before it broke like glass, sending a rush of wind throughout the area as Soul, Black Star, Tsubaki, and Stein sensed something CHANGE with Maka.

"Maka?" Soul said.

"Soul... please... trust me." Maka said.

Maka looked at Soul's reflection and saw him smile and give her a nod.

"Let's go, Soul Resonance!" They said.

With her soul no longer being protected, there was nothing stopping them from being able to do it.

Soul felt their souls connect, feeling a rush of energy like never before while feeling something new! Something that wasn't there when they tried Soul Resonance before.

Stein watched, seeing Maka's true soul for once. Large, powerful... intimidating.

'Wonderful, I expected nothing less given her bloodline.' Stein thought.

Maka held Soul up.

"The legendary skill of the Scythe Miester!" Maka said as Soul changed, forming a much larger blade, "Witch Hunter!"

Maka swung Soul, but Stein put up his hands and blocked it with his own soul wavelength.

"Putting all your power into one strike?" Stein asked, "Even for a powerful witch such as you, that is a risqué move!"

"A powerful witch?" Tsubaki and Black Star asked.

"Maka?" Soul said, looking to his partner before focusing more on the attack.