Chapter 13

It was Mandisa's turn for avoidance. She'd heard from Miss Toni that Eva left town after getting a divorce from Vincent. But she couldn't find it in herself to get rejected. Yet it seemed to be fate because she was at Cafe DuMonde with Freya having beignets and coffee when he walked by. "Mandisa," he greeted her.

"Vincent," she said. Freya looked between them both.

"Why don't I grab us some beignets for home?" Freya asked then stood up. Mandisa didn't know if she was grateful for her leaving or upset at her. Vincent sat down across from Mandisa.

"I haven't seen you around lately," Vincent said to her.

"I've been around." He chuckled awkwardly and she fought her smile.

"I wanted to thank you for what you did for Eva," he said and she looked down.

"I didn't do it for her," she said honestly.

"I know. But I'm thanking you anyway." She nodded.

"It was the gods and her ancestors that healed her," Mandisa reminded him.

"With your help. If you hadn't seen that- you didn't just save her. You saved all those kids. The Quarter witches, we owe you a debt,"

"I don't do things for gratitude. I follow my heart,"

"Oh I know that for a fact," he said, seeming bashful. 

"So you would like to speak about that night? Finally?"

"I am sorry. I overreacted. And I wasn't actually mad at you. I was mad at myself. I thought I was good at fighting-" She kept fighting the smile that was appearing. Her mouth turned up in the corners.

"Your feelings for me?"

"We had been platonic for more than two years," Vincent said and Mandisa shook her head.

"So you haven't had the full epiphany yet?" she asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Vincent, we've been courting for years. At first, I'd agree it was just friends, mates, whatever you want to call it. But after a while we just- we've spent every holiday together for the last three years. Every every pagan holiday, every non pagan holiday, Saint Valentines Day, American Independence Day, every third Wednesday of the month at the foreign film theatre, pasta Thursdays with Marcel and Bonnie, our birthdays," Well her birthday was guessed to be sometime in April since she was born the week before Ostara. Her mother would say that she brought Spring with her. He moved to open his mouth then closed it again and did it several times until he sat back and put his hand over his mouth, "No, we weren't technically physically affectionate." They'd had a few cheek kisses, the top of her head when he thought she was sleeping, they'd held hands, cuddled when watching movies at his place.

"But I can see what you mean. If I was still with Eva, over time I would have realized we at least shared some type of affair," he said then looked up at her and could see the sadness in her eyes, "I am so sorry. I've been willfully obtuse."

"I don't understand it. But I hope I might someday. Or that you would be willing to explain it to me." He nodded, not really thinking, still processing.

"Can I- I can't give you more hope, Mandisa. I don't want to. But I can't deny that I haven't thought about much but you since Eva left. Even before she left. I still need time," he said and she smiled softly.

"I understand. I have all the time in the world," she said and he chuckled because she was one of the only people in the world that meant it literally, "Just know, the longer you wait, the weirder it will look," he laughed as Freya reappeared. She looked down at them and came over because they seemed happier.

"Disa, are you ready to go home?" Freya asked. Mandisa nodded and maintained eye contact as she got up and moved to her sister.

"Have a good evening, Vincent. We'll talk soon."

"Yes. We will." Mandisa managed to let him leave before grinning.

"So what was that about?" Freya asked.

"I think he's going to ask me out on a date," she said happily. She turned ot hope to see Freya also happy but Freya seemed to be forcing her smile. "What?"

"Nothing. Nothing. Let's get home."

The next day, Freya, Mandisa, and Rebekah went to a spa to get manicures and pedicures with champagne. Mandisa was happy to spend the day with her sisters. "I heard you saw Vincent yesterday," Rebekah said to Mandisa as she took another sip. Mandisa smiled.

"I did."

"Did he apologize?"

"Yes. He said that he overreacted to the kiss," she told her sisters.

"Okay. And did he apologize for the way he treated you?" she asked her.

"Not exactly but he seemed regretful."

"Did he?"

"Yes," she said and nodded.

"Did he ask you out?'

"No but he just said he wasn't ready for anything right now. That's just right now though. I can wait."

"But why should you?" Rebekah asked.

"I don't want anyone else, Beks. I want Vincent. I understand-"

"No, Mandisa you don't. You have never even tried to date or be interested in anyone else. why can't you just try?"

"Why would I when I've found the man what I want tp spend the rest of my life with? I can picture our whole lives together."

"While he ages and you look seventeen?" Mandisa waved her off.

That wasn't the end of lectures from other people. Marcel and Bonnie were hosting Beat Bobby Flay night at their house. Mandisa brought the takeout. Her newest food obsession had been tacos. And anything with lots of cheese. She arrived and they felt awkward, "Who told you?" Mandisa asked as she put the food down on the table in the living room area.

"I mean nothing is done in the Quarter without me knowing about it," Marcel said, "One of my guys overheard you talking."

"And you both have something to say?" she asked as she unloaded the bags and put out their taco platter.

"Nope, nothing," Bonnie said and elbowed Marcel.

"Yeah, nothing," he said, staring down his girlfriend. They'd been together through so much but he was taking her lead on the issue.

They sat and ate tacos and watched television while they talked about the food. "So what now?" Bonnie asked Mandisa at the end of the night.

"What do you mean?"

"Did he ask you out?"

"No," Mandisa said then explained what Vincent said. Bonnie looked at her with pity, "What?"

"I just don't want you to get your hopes up. It's been almost four years. I don't want you hurt. Especially when you're treating him as your one true love."

"I'm not-" she supposed she technically was. She just didn't think there was another man whose faith, magic, and intelligence she'd admire as much as Vincent. But maybe they were right. Maybe she owed it to herself to try.