Chapter 9

Y/N

The second the door closes, a sob escapes my lips. I cover my mouth and lean against the door. I refuse to let the tears flow until I hear Henry's car crank and recede down the road. Then, and only then, do the floodgates open and I let the terror and disappointment swallow me. I make my way to the bathroom and turn on the hot water before climbing in. The cool water seeps through my clothes and runs over my hair. The tears course down my face as the water turns warm. It is in these moments when I miss Momma the most. What I wouldn't give to know her, talk to her. For her to run her hand through my wet hair while I rest my head in her lap and she whispers soft, comforting words in my ear. Now, I have no one. Dad was never overly emotional and made sure to raise Brian and me the same... at least he tried. Brian is busy with his own life with Becky and, while I couldn't be happier, it serves as a reminder that I am alone.... Henry... Henry... I just couldn't. He's already babysat me enough today.

I gradually stand and peel off my clothes before scrubbing my skin raw. The idea of Oliver's hands on me and worse... what could have occurred, terrifies me. Why? Why would someone do this? My body, heart, and head ache from trying to understand. I get out of the shower and pull on a long-sleeved t-shirt and a pair of sweatpants before burrowing beneath my covers and letting the tears roll once more until I am pulled into a deep terror-filled sleep.

I am sitting on the floor of the club bathroom, screaming while someone bangs on the door. The music is so loud, I know no one will hear me. I try covering my ears but the banging gets louder. "Momma!" I sob, clutching my knees and burying my head. "Daddy!? Someone help me!" The banging gets louder. "Brian! Henry!"

Suddenly, the door bursts open and reveals Oliver standing there. His face is wrong, twisted in rage. "No one loves you and no one is going to help you!" He shoves me onto my back before his knuckles land on my cheek and his body covers mine.

I awake with a scream. Sweat and tears mix and make their way down my face. The clock beside me reads 3:15 am. I take a deep breath in an attempt to steady myself and shake off the nightmare. I need to bake. Slipping from bed, I throw on a pair of jeans and a pink hoodie before throwing my long blonde hair into a messy bun. I jog down the steps to my café and start on a batch of homemade crescent rolls, knowing they will keep my mind and uninjured hand busy.

Edith and Amelia arrive a couple of hours later and I have just pulled the crescent rolls from the oven. They both make their way back to the kitchen when I place the rolls on the cooling rack.

Amelia walks to me gingerly and holds her arms out as if asking for permission to embrace me. I nod and she quickly wraps me in a tight embrace, "Oh, Y/N, Becky told us what happened! I swear we had no idea! We tried to find you after you disappeared but the next time we saw you, Henry was carrying you from the loo. Then Oliver abandoned us at the club..."

Edith stands back, rubbing her arm and her eyes glued to the floor. I offer her a small smile, "Hey. What happened is neither of your faults."

"I was so sloshed, I barely even remember Henry," Edith sighs. "I'm really sorry, Y/N."

I nod and take both of their hands, "Hey. We're all alright and that's what matters." I do feel that way but I know that it won't keep away the nightmares.

A few hours later, Mrs. Marianne walks into the shop and bypasses the counter, walking straight to the back. "Y/N, dear!" The instant I turn around, I am wrapped in her motherly embrace. I smile to myself and let her familiar scent engulf me. She pulls back and looks me over, "I've heard you've had quite the week."

I nod, "Let me guess..."

"Oh, dear, you know Henry never could keep secrets." Her gaze roams over my face before she places her soft, gloved hand on my cheek, "You didn't sleep." I don't have to answer. She has always seen everything even when I try to hide it. "Dear, you've had such a wretched week and I've begged you in the past to return to us. Please do so this weekend. All the boys will be back in town and I know they and Mr. Colin will be positively giddy to see you, Brian, and Becky again."