six.

I LOVE YOU, I'M SORRY

part one, chapter six.
broken mirror.

OCTOBER 19, 2005 - QUANTICO, VA

Her converse echoed against the tile as she marched across the sixth floor. She spotted Spencer and Morgan ahead of her as she moved around them, a hot coffee clutched in hand. "My code of survival says never mess with a woman who carries a gun," Morgan spoke, glancing towards Molly.

She spun on her heels, walking backwards as she raised her coffee cup like a cheers. "Don't know what the hell you're talking about, but amen brother." She spun back around, continuing her rushed walking through the glass door to the BAU office.

Morgan stopped walking, moving his hand to stop Spencer from also walking. "I take it back. You should... socialize with a woman who carries a gun."

"Molly?" Spencer questioned, shaking his head. "She carries two guns."

Inside the BAU, Molly slid her coffee onto her desk, grabbing several papers that printed off of the machine that sat between her and Spencer's desk. Grabbing an empty folder, she slid the papers inside. She moved quickly to Hotch's office, marching up the stairs. Seeing him on the phone, she waited for him to finish his call with who she quickly deduced was his wife. As he hung up, he glanced up to her. "New Haven PD just sent me everything."

Hotch's demeanor immediately straightened as he stood. The team gathered in the conference room. The ransom note was blasted onto the screen, Spencer reading it off, "You will follow the instructions carefully. You will do this to ensure the safety of your daughter. You will wait for the call. You will answer the call at 8:00 PM. You will write down the instructions and follow them to the letter."

Hotch spoke, "that gives us less than nine hours to arrive in Connecticut, work up victimology on Trish Davenport, and prepare her father for the ransom drop."

"The most odd things," Molly starts, "is our unsub never says 'I'. Usually, they take ownership of the crime. It's like he's distancing himself from it. And there's no mention of the police, while ransom letters almost always forbid police involvement." She found another paper, putting it under the monitor to show on the screen. "The most odd thing: he made Trish write the letter."

NEW HAVEN, CT

"Mr. Davenport," Hotch spoke as the team arrived at his home. Mr. Davenport welcomed them all in.

"Please come in," as they entered, Molly's eyes scanned the home. It was... almost too neat. She was reminded why she wasn't the biggest fan of bureaucrats. The Davenport home was full of expensive paintings and sculptures, littered with the occasional family photo. "I have six people on my staff, three body guards. All of them have been vetted and have polygraphs."