TEN

The song they danced to had dimmed to nothing, the world they were in while dancing was cut promtly

The song they danced to had dimmed to nothing, the world they were in while dancing was cut promtly. The soft way he acted while they danced was now gone as fast as it appeared— seperating at once. He had a cold, unreadable look to him as he released his hands from Arabella's body. She watched as he walked away. He excused himself as guest emerged into enjoying the ball.

Carla wasted no time scurrying to her daughters side on the outskirts of the ball room— wrapping her arms around her tightly in an embrace. "Bella, My love you look so beautiful." She chirped.

Bella embaraced her mother back, just happy to feel love from her after days of her being busy. Ada watched from across the room at the younger woman— that sliver of anger still boiling in her chest but she supressed it as Catherine encouraged her go after Victor who had just moments ago left the ball room.

Victor was in desperate need for his own space. He felt almost suffocated during that dance but forced to keep himself togethor. The garden was quiet this late in the night— the only sounds heard was the crickets singing their bedtime tunes. Candles lit the way, leading him to the balcony that overlooked the rest of the garden. When he was younger he found himself here with his mother. When things were hard for a young boy forced to take on an mans job. A sigh of frusturation left his lips once his body got to relax against the bench.

"Need some air?" Ada's soft voice pulled him back to reality. Victor looked back to see the beautiful woman smiling at him. "Do you mind if I sit?"

Victor did mind but it was quite rude for him to decline a lady a seat and so he scooted over to allow her a seat. Ada fought the grin from consuming her face. Catherine was a smart woman. Just moments after the young couples dance— She ushered him to wait out in the garden for her to  get away from the bustle of the ball. Expect she was not to be coming, instead Ada would be.

"How are you enjoying the ball?" She broke the silence once more.

"It's going well. I take it you are enjoying it as well?" He asked her, looking away from the garden ahead to look at her. She was a pretty young woman. Ada and Victor had known eachother since children. He was always older than her— Someone she looked up to as a child until that admiration turned into a crush once she became a teenager. Being a viscount daughter, she got to spend alot of tume with the royal family. Victor had been only two years older than her but their closeness in age may have taken part in her years long crush on him. This crush was unknown of course, the older man never giving her any signs he shared those feelings growing up. He was quite distant from her infact. She only admired him from afar.

"Yes. I am enjoying mysel— oh!" Her heel fell from her foot, or in other cases, she flung it from her foot. "My shoe, oh no." She painted herself concerned and worried.

"I got it." Victor offered her, unaware of the ill intensions the younger had— he got down to pick up her heel. Ada watched with admiration at the chiseled young man holding her bare leg with one hand and her shoe with the other. It slipped on perfectly onto her foot again.

"Thank you, My prince." She spoke coy, mentally pining over the innocent interaction. Victor gave the young woman a smile and got back to his feet. The ball was still going strong and he should not be gone for long as he is the reason they are here. Ada Noticed this and stood up quickly.  "Allow me to fix your coat." He offered.

Victor wanted to say no once again but allowed it. Ada could not help but to look him in the eyes, a want in her eyes. What Victor neglected to expect was the woman to lean in and flush her lips against his. He was stunned— his body taking moments after his mind to realize what was taking place but right when he pulled her away, he heard the bushes russle.

It was too late to make out who it was, all he saw was the trace of a white gown that disappeared behind the tall bushes.

"Im so sorry my prince, I do not know what came over me. I-I should leave." She excused herself.

Victor joined back with the ball moments after the ordeal— his eyes skimming over the crowd for a particular white dress with golden trim. It took him a while but he ended up spoting her by the drinks, a cup in her hand— she seemed to be laughing.

He has never seen her laugh before. He has never seen an emotion out of her expect anger now that he thinks of it. He was curious of who had her in such way as he made his way to her from across the ballroom. The closer he got the easier it was to make out who Arabella was speaking to. Anthony Hudges. A famous merchant with infamous foreign trades. He was a very rich and sucessful man in his field. He dominated the trading market two times over the average man. He was a young man as well, just shy of twenty four.

"I did not know such a beautiful woman such as yourself would have such knowledgable head upon your shoulders. I would not let you out of my sights for a moment if I were to be your husband." He grinned playfully at the younger woman who laughed, both taking sips of their alcoholic drinks. "Speaking of the devil himself!" He greeted Victor who approached the laughing pair, stopping just behind Arabella. She frowned. Her mood shifted the moment his presence was known to her.

"I would love to hear more of your travels. I did enjoy your story to India." She pined over the story Victor seemed to have missed. Anthony was utterly smitteb with the woman. She was absolutely beautiful.

"I would love to. I do enjoy speaking with you, you know. Victor here is one lucky man to have such a wife. If he isn't careful, I may swoop in, im afriad." He joked. Victor did not find it funny despite Arabella finding it so.

"Im afraid we have to leave, please excuse us." He excused them both before Arabella could reject— guiding her by her arm away from the other man. Was this jealously he felt? Arabella could not process that as she was overcome with anger but allowed him to guide her out of the ballroom. The walk in the hallways were silent, and short lived once he ducked them into a private room. She vastly snatched her arm from his grip. "What are you doing? Do you wish to make a mockery of me by making yourself obtainable to other men?"

Victor could not chalk up the anger in him with jealousy. He was sure it was to protect his name. He could only imagine the rumors if his future wife is entertaining other men.  It couldn't be jealousness.

"I was not doing such a thing. What are you speaking of?" She scowled in confusion. She closed herself off with the crossing of her harms— but stood her ground when he got closer with thay towering height of his.

"Anthony? He was practically howling for you. Do you have no shame?" A scowl rolled off his face.

"I should be asking you the same."

"What do you mean-" Before he could finish his question, arabella cut him short.

"Do not play coy with me. You were kissing a woman in the garden. Do you have no shame?" She spat her words at him. "To be clear, We are not a truly married couple. We are arranged. You do not owe me your loyalty as I do not you."

She stormed from the privacy of the room they stood in, leaving him alone. She will admit to herself atleast that when she witness the young pair kissing— she realized nothing mattered. This marriage was fake, forced and arranged. Nothing of this marriage was because they loved each other and wanted no one but themselves. Victor was free to be romantic with whoever he desired. She had not thought of being romantically involved with anyman but when she was approached by Anthony— the dashing man with a bright smile, she enjoyed the attention he gave her. He made her feel wanted.