Chapter 17

It's been months, but I am, back from the gaming abyss! I've decided I need the resolution to at least one chapter a week. I've also been devouring novels—they take up more time than I care to admit. And sleep? Oh boy, I can't go a day without it. My brain shuts down on its own! Thankfully, it hasn't happened as much lately because I've been sleeping more.

-------------------------------------

It's been a week since Marisa and Roxy began their journey. Unlike Roxy, Marisa chose to travel using her magic broom, much to Roxy's frustration.

"Marisa-sensei! It's not fair that my feet are aching while yours are perfectly fine," Roxy complained, finally unable to walk any further.

"Hmm... then let's take a break," Marisa replied, her tone unbothered. "You see, in the early stages of learning magic, it's essential for your body to grow stronger. Some spells have a recoil, especially the more powerful ones."

With that, Marisa gracefully dismounted her broom, storing it away. She then summoned a fully assembled tent from her spirit storage, setting it up effortlessly.

"Also, you need to be able to run faster than your enemies if you want to survive," Marisa continued, her tone matter-of-fact. "But if you learn anti-gravity, flight, or weightless magic, you'll have more options. Even though I'm a magician, I can easily carry a boulder, you know."

To demonstrate, Marisa used her rudimentary earth magic to create a boulder, despite its imperfections. With both hands, she effortlessly lifted it and hurled it at a sleeping beast nearby, crushing it instantly. Roxy was left speechless, witnessing Marisa's feat without any visible reinforcement of her body. Her last argument about the unfairness of their travel was now rendered moot.

"Yes..." Roxy agreed, albeit reluctantly.

"Anyway, show me your magic, and I'll evaluate it," Marisa said, leaning back in her chair. "Start with your weakest and then your strongest."

Roxy nodded and stood up, though somewhat hesitantly. She began with her fire magic. Initially, it had been no more than a candlelight, but now it was a respectable campfire, indicating significant progress. Next, she demonstrated her wind magic, creating a concentrated wind ball that whirled in her palm with a visible green hue. She then moved on to earth magic, forming an earth pillar with far fewer imperfections than Marisa's attempts. Lastly, Roxy conjured a large water bubble, earning a muttered compliment from Marisa.

"Congratulations on reaching Intermediate rank in water magic," Marisa said proudly, impressed with Roxy's progress.

"Um, I'm grateful to Undyne for that," Roxy said, feeling a surge of happiness at Marisa's praise.

"Undyne may be a huge help, but your diligent practice has played a significant role too," Marisa replied, making Roxy smile even wider. "Now that we've established your progress, you need to practice your offensive spells on a real enemy. Don't worry, I will bind them, but you have to kill them with your magic."

Marisa's smile remained unwavering, but Roxy's smile vanished immediately. "Um... the monsters here are high level, though," Roxy protested, her voice tinged with concern.

Marisa's smile didn't fade. "That's exactly why it's good practice. You'll never improve if you don't challenge yourself. I'll make sure you're safe, but you need to learn to face real threats."

Roxy swallowed hard, her resolve wavering, but she knew Marisa was right. "Alright, I'll do my best," she said, trying to muster her courage.

Roxy couldn't believe her eyes as Marisa swiftly mounted her broom and returned moments later with a C-rank monster—a hyena-like creature that typically attacked travelers in packs. "I only needed one, but they were too tightly knit, so I took care of the rest," Marisa explained casually, munching on the magic stones she had gathered.

"Also, here," Marisa continued, handing Roxy a stack of parchment. "These are offensive spells in the four elements. I don't expect you to memorize all of them right away, but you should familiarize your body with each spell. If you find any that you particularly like or see great potential in, make sure to integrate them into your repertoire. Since we're still in the early stages, I want you to become proficient in using every element equally. It'll take too long to specialize in a sub-element right now," Marisa advised Roxy.

Roxy nodded, feeling a mixture of excitement and apprehension. She knew this was a crucial step in her magical training, and she was determined to rise to the challenge.

Roxy stared at the ferocious monster, its growls muffled by the tight yellow bindings that restrained it. Despite its waist-high size, similar to that of a large dog, Roxy couldn't shake off a sense of unease. What if the bindings failed and the creature broke free? Yet, she reminded herself that Marisa could swiftly handle any such situation. Gathering her resolve, Roxy turned her attention to the stack of parchments Marisa had given her.

As she read through them, Roxy noticed that the spells categorized as more advanced seemed dauntingly beyond her current abilities. She decided to start with an earth spell, attempting the earth pillar. However, instead of manifesting it on the ground, she tried to create it in mid-air, only to fail. Roxy realized she still lacked precise control over earth magic. Adjusting her approach, she opted for an earth wall spell instead, though it turned out to be brittle and unstable.

Sighing softly, Roxy accepted the limitations of her current skill level. She knew that practice and patience would be key to mastering these spells, just as Marisa had advised.

Marisa watched Roxy struggle to hit the bound monster with her earth magic. Roxy's attempts to create an earth pillar mid-air had failed, and her subsequent efforts to form an earth wall were either overshooting or falling short of the target. Marisa noted Roxy's frustration but also her determination to keep trying.

Marisa reflected on her journey with magic. Her first spell wasn't flame, but heat, derived not from a traditional grimoire but from a science book she found in a nameless graveyard. Misinterpreting it as a grimoire had ironically helped her understand the principles of heat, a fundamental step that took considerable time to master. Light magic had come more easily to her, as light and heat often intersected in their principles.

Watching Roxy now, Marisa considered stepping in to teach her echolocation or earth location techniques. These methods would ensure a more accurate use of ground magic. However, she decided against it for the moment. If Roxy could learn to judge distances by instinct, it would be a significant advantage, fostering a keen sense of prediction and danger awareness—crucial skills for any magician.

Roxy, meanwhile, took a deep breath and refocused. She attempted the earth wall spell again, this time paying closer attention to her positioning and the distance to the monster. She formed the spell and, with a burst of determination, directed it toward the creature. The wall materialized, hitting the monster more accurately than before.

Marisa nodded approvingly. "Good progress, Roxy. Remember, mastering magic is as much about intuition as it is about knowledge. Keep practicing, and your instincts will sharpen."

Roxy smiled, encouraged by Marisa's words. She knew she had a long way to go, but with each attempt, she felt herself growing a little stronger and more confident in her abilities.