𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

Eun-hae

Eun-hae

Christmas morning dawned clear and bright, the world outside covered in a blanket of pristine snow. The soft flakes glistened under the pale winter sun, turning the landscape into a glittering wonderland. It was the kind of morning that felt like magic, where everything seemed possible, and hope floated on the crisp, cold air.

Inside their small, cozy home, the warmth of the living room was a stark contrast to the chilly world outside. The Christmas tree, though modest, was beautifully decorated with handmade ornaments and twinkling lights. Underneath, there were three presents, each carefully wrapped in colorful paper.

Iseul, eyes sparkling with excitement, tore into the gifts with glee. She squealed with delight as she unwrapped a new doll from her father, a set of crayons and coloring books from her sister, and a teddy bear from Santa. Her laughter filled the room, a sweet, joyous sound that made the sacrifices worth it.

Eun-hae watched her little sister, a warm smile on her face. Despite the financial struggles that had made this year's Christmas smaller and quieter, seeing Iseul's happiness brought her immense joy. The sight of her sister's bright eyes and wide grin made all the worries fade away, even if just for a moment.

They had decided to focus all their resources on Iseul's gifts this year. Christmas was a magical time for her, and Eun-hae had wanted to keep that magic alive. Yet, a small part of her couldn't help but feel a twinge of sadness. She missed the larger celebrations, the abundance of presents, and the festive meals. But she didn't mind sacrificing those things to see her sister happy.

As the day wore on, Eun-hae's thoughts drifted to Heeseung. Over the past few weeks, they had grown closer, sharing more moments of laughter, study sessions, and heartfelt conversations. However, both remained oblivious to the depth of their feelings for each other, each too shy and uncertain to take the first step.

It was around 6 PM, and Eun-hae was in the kitchen, preparing a simple dinner for her father and Iseul. Her hair was tied back, and she wore a dirty apron, her face flushed and sweaty from the heat of the stove. The aroma of simmering stew filled the air, mingling with the faint scent of pine from the Christmas tree.

Just then, the doorbell rang. Surprised, Eun-hae wiped her hands on her apron and hurried to answer it. Opening the door, she found herself face-to-face with Heeseung. He stood there, bundled up against the cold, his cheeks pink from the chill, and a warm smile on his face.

"Eun-hae," he said, his voice filled with warmth and something she couldn't quite place. "Merry Christmas."

Her heart skipped a beat as she took in the sight of him. "Heeseung, what are you doing here?"

"I, uh, thought I'd drop by and see how you were doing," he replied, his eyes shining with sincerity.

Eun-hae smiled, feeling a warmth spread through her that had nothing to do with the kitchen. "Come in, it's freezing out there. Sorry about the mess."