(9) Something new

Kellan POV

A routine had started, a routine I could get used to. Over the past week or so i've done exactly what I planned to do, be a total twat. From harassing him to ignoring him, I left that boy utterly confused and irritated which is exactly what he has done to me for so long. It feels good, really good, because finally i'm done with him, from the bottom of my heart I am finished. But he's not, and watching that struggle truly fulfills that sadistic desire to do to him just what he did to me.

Although as i'm getting used to this small rivalry, my friends seem to be getting used to a new routine. One that doesn't involve me. Becoming aware of my subconscious efforts to isolate myself whenever something goes wrong, i've tried to better myself and continue talking with the team despite being the one to push a beloved member out. Granted, few are in agreement that what I did was the right thing but the majority aren't, which is why I'm not being welcomed back so graciously.
"Sorry guys this is me, got somewhere to get to."
Silence, nobody replied with even a simple wave. That's fine, I think I feel fine.

Anyways off I go, right, yeah, I'm off to my new job. Despite it not being my first, its definitely the one I'm most nervous for. Glass collecting for small pubs my family frequents aren't exactly secure, yet whilst pouring drinks isn't glamorous its surely proper. If im honest now the games passed and ive been outcasted by my group, i'm finding myself a lot of free time. Despite not needing a job since I can't leave my mum with the twins anyways, saving for a car sounds pretty neat.

Walking into the bar early evening, my nose is immediately attacked with the stench of cheap beer and salty snacks. Youch, definitely more of a cocktail guy myself... Soon though a chirpy waitress catches my eye, she's breathtaking with her swooping short brown pixie and impressive figure. Friendly, very friendly, so decidedly shes the staff best to approach to ask about the bar im supposed to be working on. And oh, sorry, forgot to mention, there isn't a single goddamned person behind the bustling bench.
"Sorry to bother you, i'm looking for training? I'm the new hire for a bartender do you know who I should see?"
"Hang on a second can't you see i'm busy!"
Snappy, shit, that was unexpected. Immediately I retract my questioning hand and shove them nervously into my jean pockets, damn, hope I don't turn like that.

For a moment I stand awkwardly behind her, rocking back and forth on my heels as she speaks to a curious customer.
"Right, sorry love, how can I-"
She sighs out, finally turning her curvy body to face me but suddenly stopping mid sentence.
"Ah, Kellan! Oh thank god, the early bartender had to get sent home just now."
"Seriously? I'm supposed to be on with somebody though for my first few shifts..."
"You're better off without them, totally high! I'll show you as much as I know now tabs are caught up."

The small staff room situated behind the kitchen was bare, the first few of the cooks just starting to arrive for their 5pm shift start. Although luckily the bar matched, with only a sparce few elderly men drinking away worries for their problematic wives.
"Always check ID's, up to those about 25 since this place is already on dodgy grounds, gotta raise reputation."
Nodding along with her, I caught a glimpse of a name tag baring 'Alex'.
"Sounds good, have I got one of them then?"
I said, gesturing to the top of her breast where the tag was placed.
"Damn, alright, thanks for saying you were looking at my tits!"
Oh. Oh that's embarrassing, seriously. Much to my relief though she simply laughed about it, a loud laugh which would feel like heaven to smile alongside.
"Yeah, should do if you last longer than a week newbie."
"A week? Huh not expecting much are you?"
I scoffed in retort, granted my ego may not be great but I at least trust my resilience to help me stick even the most pungent smelling place.

Yet she clearly was unconvinced, with a quick once over my average form and a tongue click she spoke again, this time quieter.
"No offense but skins like yours don't tend to be treated great by old drunk white guys, none of us would blame you for walking out honestly."
"Excuse you? I'm not dealing with racism from staff, that's bullshit!"
Like hell it is, I can take pissed up idiots but not sober ones, that's crossing a line!
"Hey come on, my mums are chinese! I'm just trying to warn you, let a girl help love."