Chapter 9: The Girl Behind the Mask

"You guys are mean. So mean!" Pepper yelled as she kicked her feet. Pepper and Zoë were both trapped.. by chairs and rope. Their chairs were back-to-back and the rope only wrapped around their chest. Zoë would bite these guys if she could. All of this biting and blood and being trapped is getting in her head.
The room they seemed trapped in was like a break room. Something that Zoë would see in a dark romance, if teenagers ran it. All these kids similar to Zoë's age were scattered around the room, chattering, drinking out of mugs, or on their phones. Pepper wished her phone wasn't dead. It'd be nice to die listening to Hamilton, Pepper thought.
Strawberry was talking to one girl. Anabelle and Dixie were talking to each other. The weird part was Anabelle's eyes were still vibrant purple while Dixie's iris was a muted purple.
"Zoë, do you have a knife or scissors?" Pepper whispered,
"No? What kind of girl has a knife or scissors on them before they go swimming?" Zoë answered,
"Me, " The girl who was talking to Strawberry answered.
"How did you hear us?" Pepper asked,
"We're vampires! We have exceptional hearing! Of course 'Four Eyes' gives us some dumb humans,"
Everyone laughed around Zoë and Pepper except their allies. The 'Controlled' (Dixie and Anabelle) looked more offended. Strawberry just nodded like she was forced onto this.
"Thank heavens that Maddie-" The girl was interrupted,
"It's Strawberry! Put that in your thick skull before I push it in there, " Strawberry hissed,
The girl was taken back, "Wait.. are you acting human?"
Zoë and Pepper realized as soon as she said it. Strawberry wasn't human. She was a vampire. A beginner vampire, the group taken before Zoë's group.
The girl saw Zoë and Pepper's expression. She smiled, knowing the chaos she caused.
"You tricked them? That's... so cute Maddie! I'll let you have the honors then. Do you think the bites will still work?" The girl asked,
"No, because our sclera isn't black yet so we aren't fully vampire yet, " Strawberry explained like she had this conversation every other day.
"Wait.. How long has Bree been a vampire?" Dixie yelled,
" Bree... Ohh, number thirty one. She was bitten long before us. They organize the numbers way before we come here. That's why we have the ten rule to keep track, " The girl explained,
"Ten rul-" Zoë said,
"Yeah, two vampires, two controlled, two dead, and the rest either vampires or food. "
Pepper's eyes widen from shock. Pepper remembered Strawberry doing a number thing with her hands. Pepper looked at Zoë then her lower body. Zoë + Pepper = Two people. Bree and Cruz were the vampires before us, Anabelle and Dixie are the controlled then me and Zoë could be-
"DEAD, WE ARE GONNA BE DEAD PEPPER!" Zoë screamed in frustration,
"Ooh, I didn't get that clue at all," Dixie said and smiled blindly.
Anabelle crouched down to hide her laughter from Dixie. Pepper sighed, at this point, she would die from the stupidity in this room. She doesn't know if that's because of the bite or being dumb is how they got bit.
Out of the silence, there was buzzing, like a notification. The girl next to Strawberry, checked her phone. "Oh snap, Okay everyone with fangs, straight to the Break Room. There is a meeting,"
There were murmors and sighs as people started leaving the room. Strawberry smiled for a reason. The girl sighed and looked at Strawberry, "You, coincidentally, are on gaurd duty. Check on the dead boy and don't let them escape, " The girl glared at them all then paced out the door.
"Dead boy?" Zoë asked,
"Uh yeah, He's not actually dead. I think Cruz called him, 'Seth'? " Strawberry answered.
"Wait, where's Levi then? " Anabelle asked,
"Oh, I assume they took him back to the cell, "
Zoë and Pepper lit up in hope. They thought Seth would've been dead by now. They were glad Seth was okay. They hoped everyone was okay.
Before Pepper was gonna plead to be let go, the lights were cut out all the sudden. Strawberry stumbled around in the darkness, confused. There was a rustle sound as if something was cutting off the rope that was straining Pepper and Zoë. Then muffled screams of Anabelle and Dixie were heard. They heard the sound of a door closing, silence for a few seconds then more stammering.
The lights finally flickered on. The halves of the rope laid on Pepper and Zoë's laps. They brushed it off and stood up. Dixie and Anabelle were gone and right in front of them was Strawberry and Bree. Strawberry's mask looked straight out while Bree standed behind Strawberry. She wore black sunglasses even though everyone was inside. Pepper was confused but Zoë knew why.
"Which one of you dim whits know?" Bree asked as she walked forward and crossed her arms.
"Know what? How to escape? I wish," Pepper said,
"No. Welp since I only wanted to kill the person who figured but, now I have to kill both of you to keep your mouth's shut,"
Strawberry got out a clean petty knife. She walked closer to Pepper and Zoë.
"Wait-Wait Wait! " Zoë pleaded as she waved her hands back and forth, "Question, how were your eyes normal at the pool party but you were bit way before that?"
Everyone slowly cocked their heads towards Zoë. Only Pepper moved her head to see the stupidity of Zoë.
"Zoë, what are using since you hate glasses?" Pepper asked aggressively,
"Contacts," Zoë answered directly,
"Now what is she using, my slow friend?"
"Con- Oh,"
Strawberry looked at Bree for a second for clarification then back at the other two. Strawberry walked closer, knife aiming exactly at Zoë. Bree, knowing that Strawberry will do her job, walked out.
Pepper ran immediately to tackle Strawberry. Strawberry, out of shock, threw the knife aiming at Zoë's arm. Zoë tried to move but the knife sliced the skin of her left arm, as well as the sleeve of the hoodie.
Pepper pinned Strawberry to the ground. Blood trickled down Zoë's arm as Strawberry gripped on Pepper and flipped her over. Even the smell of the blood gave Strawberry a power booster. Strawberry got up and stepped her foot on Pepper, making sure she didn't get back up.
"You guys are pathetic, maybe you'd be a great dish if you guys didn't flop around," Strawberry laughed.
Zoë grabbed the knife that was thrown at her as blood started to touch her wrist. As Zoë's back was turned she heard a scream. Zoë turned back around as Pepper rolled away from Strawberry as Strawberry rubbed her hoodie.
Zoë concluded that Pepper spat on her. Strawberry backed away then got knocked down with a BANG!