Chapter 38

Anxiously, I sit along my front porch the next day awaiting the arrival of everyone who would like to participate in my little get-together. Part of me thinks that absolutely nobody is going to show up for some reason, but I know that a few definitely should show up. Leah and Elliot being two that will come support me no matter what. As for everyone else, it's hard to say. I desperately wish for Haley to hopefully feel better today as well so she can come over too. I would hate for her to miss out.

My farm is scattered with supplies and items for people to examine, admire and taste test. I know it's not a tasting contest, but the best things to display usually taste the best. That and the people will need things to eat while being here. I have other refreshments set up that aren't meant to be picked for display too.

Today feels more like an autumn day than ever. The air is crisp and if you don't have a sweater it will be chilly for sure. I have a small campfire going on for people to warm up by if they need to, as well as blankets to sit on or warm up with.

To my joy, the first few people arrived at my farm. It was Sam, Vincent, and their mom, Jodi. Vincent takes one look at my farm as his eyes light up in excitement. Behind them, I see a whole wave of people walking up to participate in my event. I quickly stand up from my front porch, ready to greet everyone and explain what is going to go on. Unfortunately, I did not see Haley in the wave of people.

"Hi everyone! I didn't expect such a crowd. I didn't think anyone would want to come," I sheepishly scratch the back of my neck.

"Of course we would come, Danny. You're great!" Leah shouts from somewhere at the back of the crowd. It makes me chuckle but I continue my speech.

"I just wanted to say how grateful I am that you all welcomed me into your amazing community of Pelican Town. This little thing I got going on here was me hoping to thank you all, but also get everyone interacting and involved with my stand at the fair next week. I have such a hard time deciding on things that I need a LOT of help. So feel free to look at things, pick up things, dig up the crops that are marked with a star, taste things, and find things that you think I should put up for display at the fair next week. I have an empty table set up for everyone to put their voted items on, so I can go over what has been picked and narrow it down from there. Does anyone have any questions?"

To my demise, the only person raising their hand is Sam. I let out a small sigh and gesture to Sam to speak.

"What's with all of those?" he waves his hand over to my project area that I've marked off limits. I feel my cheeks heat up and I shyly turn my face away as I reply.

"That's...for Haley..."

The whole crowd erupts with "awws" and "ouuus". I do an awkward smile and let everyone get it out of their system.

"We should have guessed," I hear Elliot call out from the same area as Leah was. I see everyone start nodding their heads and laughing.

"Now not to be cliche or anything, but the most important rule is to have fun. Actually it's "don't hurt the chickens" but I know you guys wouldn't do that. Please be nice to my little munchkins." I gesture to the chicken coop which causes Vincent and Jas to immediately start running over there. The rest of the crowd breaks apart to go their separate ways as well, finding stuff to look at. I stand with my arms crossed, feeling pretty proud of myself.

I watch Pam immediately bring a glass of beer and a glass of pale ale to the empty table. She then went back over to where the other glasses were and started chugging them. I'm going to run out of beer and pale ale very quickly.

Leah and Elliot are giggling away by the wine bottles, each with a glass of some in their hand. I decided to make my way over there to talk to them.

"Someone's been having an eventful few weeks," Leah nudges me in the shoulder when I get closer.