Chapter 37

She had admitted it. Out loud. To a stranger. She said I was her girlfriend, I think to myself while I lay sprawled out on my bed.

"I'm her girlfriend..." I whisper out loud, trying to make it sound real. It is so hard to grasp that I'm officially dating one of the hottest, prettiest, most stunning girls I've ever met in my life.

I roll over in bed to lay on my side. I tuck my hands under my head and stare towards my bedroom window. I have no curtains, so it's a nice clear view outside. The darkness of the outdoors is only relieved by the shine of the full moon and many stars speckled across the sky. The whole night has been replaying in my head, over and over. I've never experienced such a magical night before or one as eventful.

Sam, Abigail, and Sebastian weren't mad that we ditched their performance and understood we did what we had to do. They were just glad Haley was alright and that I gave that guy a lesson.

Nearly the whole town is scared of me and doesn't want to get on my bad side now that they heard of what I did. But, of course, I would never punch anyone unless they were deserving of it. Lots of people aren't going to even think of disagreeing with Haley if I'm around now.

The next morning, I go to do my usual routine. Water the crops, check the chickens, then the mailbox. I don't have nearly as many crops now due to it being fallen and many of my summer crops died off. I never did plant some of this season's crops, but there are a few of the things I really wanted. Plus, I don't have a lot of room on this farm anymore due to me going a bit overboard with my project. It's extended way past the point I planned for it to be. I'm going to have to invite Haley over soon before autumn ends and it all dies off.

I rush inside to write a quick note that I'll leave in Haley's mailbox sooner than later, but when I check my own mailbox, there is yet another letter from Mayor Lewis.

Dear Danny,

One week from today, we are holding the Stardew Valley Fair in the town square!

It's the biggest event of the year, drawing people from all across the country to our humble town.

If you'd like, you can set up a grange display for the event. Just bring up to 9 items that best showcase your talents. You'll be judged on the quality and diversity of your display.

The fair starts at 9 AM... don't miss it!

-Mayor Lewis

"Are you fucking kidding me. I already had a hard enough time picking out one thing for the Luau, now I have to pick nine different things? My Yoba!" I shouted defeatedly, shaking my head in exasperation. I CANNOT catch a break in this town.

But then an idea pops into my head. Last time I had Elliot, Leah, Haley, and Emily help me pick out the items...this time I should get everyone involved. It will be a cute, fun hangout that gets everyone involved and helping if they'd like to.

I ran back inside to start writing invites to put in everyone's mailbox. I have no idea who I am meant to be competing with, so I'm going to be nice and write one for everyone to start. I don't really care if I give away what items I'll be displaying, I just want to have fun and host an event for everyone to participate in. It'll kind of be like my "Thank you for welcoming me into your town" kind of thing.

After each letter has been addressed and folded neatly, I burst out my front door and set off around the town to deliver each note to everyone. My route will start up at the mountains to Robin's place first, and then I'll make my way down to Haley and Emily's place last for no particular reason.

I was up early enough that nobody was awake yet for the majority of my journey. I was able to sneak around town with no one bothering me about what I was doing thankfully. I did take long enough though that by the time I reached Haley and Emily's house, Emily was awake and answered the door when I knocked. I knew that meant Haley should be up now as well, which means I planned my timing perfectly.

"Hey Danny. What brings you here?" Emily greets me.

"I was hoping to invite you and Haley to my place tomorrow to help me gather things to display for the fair. I Invited the whole town to make it a big event, but having you guys there would make it the best," I explain.

As I was explaining, I kept trying to look behind Emily to see Haley. However, she does not make an appearance.

"We would love to go! That is such a good idea to get everyone involved. I'm sure the town would love to do something like that at your farm..."

"But?" I could sense uncertainty in Emily's voice that made me think she was going to say something contradictory.

"But Haley doesn't seem to be feeling so well today. It's hard to say if she will be feeling better tomorrow. The... uhhhh...girlhood fairy paid her a visit this morning if you catch my drift."

"Ahhh I see. Can I come in and see her, or is she not in the mood?" I awkwardly twist my fingers around, hoping Emily will say yes.

Instead, Emily just opens the door wider to let me in. I excitedly bounce my way inside and to Haley's room where I knock gently on the door.

"Emily, I told you to leave me alone for the day!" I hear her shout through the door to me.

"Um... it's actually Danny," I responded.

"Oh! Come in!" Her voice chippers up.

I push open the door to find Haley cozied up in her blankets in bed. Only her head is peaking up above the covers to see me enter.

Being a little too rough, I, for some reason, decided it would be a good idea to dive into bed with her. That causes Haley to groan and roll away from me.

"Oh I'm sorry Haley. I didn't mean to bother you," I utter sadly. "I was just wondering if you want to come over tomorrow and help pick out some display things for me for the fair next week? I invited everyone in town to make it a whole shebang, but if you aren't feeling well enough I understand." I rub my hand along her arm and then wrap her up in an embrace, making sure to put pressure on her lower stomach to help with cramps. I was also hoping my warmth will be helpful as well.

She seems to relax slightly after I do that for her, but she doesn't roll over quite yet. "I'll see how I feel tomorrow," Haley says as she starts scratching my hand that's holding her stomach gently. She takes a deep breath and leans into me.

I let her lay against me for a few minutes before giving her a kiss on her head and getting up.

"I've gotta get everything set up for tomorrow, but I really wish I could stay," I pout as I head for the door. Haley opens up her blanket, revealing a very sheer nightgown. It makes me stop in my tracks for a minute, taking in every aspect of her fine body. I start to involuntarily bite my lip and smirk as I think about staying. I snap out of it as I remember why she isn't feeling well in the first place.

"Hey, that's not fair. As tempting as it is, I'm no vampire," I chuckled as Haley sighs and tucked the blanket back around her.

"I guess I'll let you go then. I'll see you later Danny," she blows me a little kiss and goes back to wallowing in pain.