Blurb

It was so dark. And so cold. And so lonely. Daya longed for warmth again. Someone to press against her pale skin and warm her to her bones. Someone to bring the light she so desperately needed. Someone to offer her the company she craved so much.

Alas, she was restricted to her castle. Her dark, Victorian Era castle that hadn't been touched by a human in centuries. Where she had been living for years upon years upon years. She had lost count of how many by now. That's what happens when the only other living species you can talk to are the bats that live beside you.

But this was Daya's punishment. Cursed by her own father, she would never leave the castle for the rest of her immortal life. Daya couldn't think of a worse punishment. She watched everyone leave. She watched the old land she once called home change throughout the years. While the world moved on and became modernized, her castle still stood, locked behind a large metal gate that seemed to scratch at the sky.

Every now and then, someone from town would venture out towards the castle they were always warned to stay away from. Usually rude teenagers thinking they were cool and tough ignoring the warnings from their parents. That was when Daya would lure them inside. And that was how she got her blood. With the townspeople too scared to ever step foot in the little bit of land she had left, Daya was left alone.

Until an unfamiliar site appeared at the gate one night. Not a teenager, not someone trying to seem cool by being there, just a scared girl. A scared girl who was curled up with her head buried in her arms as she cried. And Daya felt as if her heart had restarted.

So she allowed the gates to open.

----

New vampire au we cheered