Chapter 8: Unspoken Questions

The days following their first date felt like a dream. Mitsugi and Suguri navigated the labyrinth of their dual existence—maintaining professionalism in the public eye while cherishing their intimate moments in private. The thrill of their secret brought a new vibrancy to their lives, yet an undercurrent of uncertainty remained.

One evening, as Mitsugi sat in his dormitory studying, his phone buzzed with a message from Suguri: "Meet me at the usual spot. I have something important to discuss."

Mitsugi’s heart skipped a beat. The tone of the message felt different, more serious. He quickly gathered his things and headed out. The "usual spot" was a quiet bench near the campus greenhouse, a place where they often met for their private conversations.

Suguri was already there, gazing at the stars when Mitsugi arrived. He turned and smiled as Mitsugi approached, but there was a hint of tension in his expression.

“Good evening, Mitsugi,” Suguri greeted him warmly, though his eyes conveyed the weight of his thoughts.

“Good evening, Suguri. What’s on your mind?” Mitsugi asked, sitting down beside him.

Suguri took a deep breath, as if gathering his thoughts. “Mitsugi, I’ve been thinking a lot about us, about our relationship. I cherish what we have, but I also worry about the future.”

Mitsugi’s heart tightened. “What do you mean? Are you having second thoughts?”

Suguri shook his head. “No, not at all. My feelings for you haven’t changed. But I’m concerned about the challenges we might face. The scrutiny from the university, the potential backlash if people find out…”

Mitsugi nodded, understanding the gravity of Suguri’s concerns. “I’ve thought about that too. It’s not going to be easy, but I believe we can handle it. We just need to be careful.”

Suguri looked at Mitsugi, his eyes filled with resolve. “I agree. But there’s more. I want us to think about the long term. What do we want from this relationship? Where do we see ourselves in a year, in five years?”

Mitsugi was taken aback by the question. They had been so focused on the present, on navigating the immediate challenges, that they hadn’t considered the future in such concrete terms.

“I… I don’t know,” Mitsugi admitted. “I haven’t thought that far ahead. But I do know that I want to be with you, no matter what.”

Suguri smiled, his expression softening. “And I want to be with you too, Mitsugi. I think it’s important for us to start envisioning our future together. To make sure we’re on the same page about our goals and dreams.”

Mitsugi felt a surge of emotion. “You’re right. We need to talk about these things, to plan for our future. I want to be with you, and I’m willing to face whatever comes our way.”

They spent the next few hours discussing their hopes and dreams, their fears and uncertainties. It was a conversation filled with honesty and vulnerability, one that brought them even closer together.

As the night grew late, they stood to leave. Suguri pulled Mitsugi into a gentle embrace. “Thank you for being so understanding, Mitsugi. I believe in us.”

Mitsugi hugged him back, feeling a deep sense of connection. “I believe in us too, Suguri. We’ll face the future together, one step at a time.”

They parted ways with a renewed sense of purpose and commitment. Mitsugi walked back to his dormitory, his mind filled with thoughts of the future. The path ahead was uncertain, but with Suguri by his side, he felt ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

As he lay in bed that night, Mitsugi realized that their relationship, though unconventional, was built on a foundation of mutual respect, love, and understanding. And that was something worth fighting for. The tides had shifted once more, and this time, they were moving forward together, ready to embrace the future.