Chapter 13: New Beginnings

The first days after Suguri's return were a whirlwind of activity and joy. Mitsugi and Suguri spent their time revisiting their favorite spots around the campus, reminiscing about old memories while creating new ones. The campus, once filled with reminders of their time apart, now buzzed with the renewed energy of their reunion.

One sunny afternoon, they decided to visit the secluded garden behind the library again. This time, they brought a small picnic, complete with homemade sandwiches and Suguri's favorite green tea.

As they sat on their favorite bench, Suguri looked around, taking in the familiar surroundings. "I can't believe I'm finally back here with you," he said, his voice filled with awe.

Mitsugi smiled, handing Suguri a sandwich. "I know. It's like a dream come true. I missed you so much."

They ate in comfortable silence, savoring both the food and each other's presence. The garden was in full bloom, the vibrant colors and sweet fragrances creating a perfect backdrop for their time together.

After their meal, Suguri turned to Mitsugi, a serious expression on his face. "Mitsugi, there's something I want to talk to you about."

Mitsugi's heart skipped a beat. "What is it, Suguri?"

Suguri took a deep breath. "While I was away, I had a lot of time to think about our future. Being apart was hard, but it also made me realize how important you are to me. I don't ever want to be separated from you again."

Mitsugi's eyes softened. "I feel the same way, Suguri. I can't imagine my life without you."

Suguri reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. "I know we're still young and there's so much ahead of us, but I want to make a promise to you." He opened the box to reveal two simple silver rings. "These are promise rings. I want us to wear them as a symbol of our commitment to each other, no matter what the future holds."

Mitsugi felt tears welling up in his eyes. "Suguri, this is... I don't know what to say. It's perfect."

They exchanged the rings, slipping them onto each other's fingers with trembling hands. It was a simple gesture, but it held a world of meaning for both of them. They sat in the garden, their fingers intertwined, the silver bands glinting in the sunlight.

Days turned into weeks, and Mitsugi and Suguri fell back into the rhythm of their shared life on campus. They attended classes together, studied in the library, and spent their evenings exploring the city. The promise rings were a constant reminder of their bond, a source of strength and comfort.

One weekend, they decided to take a trip to the nearby mountains. It was a place they had always wanted to visit but had never found the time. They packed a small bag and set off early in the morning, excited for the adventure.

The hike was challenging, but the breathtaking views made it worth every step. They reached the summit by noon, the vast landscape spreading out before them. Mitsugi stood at the edge, taking in the panoramic view.

"This is incredible," he said, turning to Suguri. "I'm so glad we're doing this together."

Suguri nodded, his eyes filled with wonder. "Me too, Mitsugi. This is just the beginning of all the adventures we'll have."

They spent the afternoon exploring the summit, taking pictures and sharing stories. As the sun began to set, they found a quiet spot to sit and watch the sky transform into a canvas of oranges and pinks.

Mitsugi leaned against Suguri, feeling a profound sense of peace. "You know, this moment feels perfect."

Suguri smiled, wrapping an arm around Mitsugi. "It does. And it's just the start. We have so much to look forward to."

As they watched the sunset, they made plans for the future - more trips, new experiences, and all the little moments in between. Their love, once tested by distance, had emerged stronger than ever.

With the promise rings glinting in the fading light, Mitsugi and Suguri knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, they would face them together. Their hearts beat in unison, a steady rhythm of love and hope, guiding them into a future filled with endless possibilities.