Chapter 11

Sebastian watched Ominis's carriage until not even a spec was visible. He trudged his way back through the school and down into the Slytherin common room.

"I don't believe I have seen anyone look more pitiful before in my life."

"Not now Imelda." Sebastian grumbled as he continued his trek to his room.

"You'll see her again next year, it's not like she's gone forever."

"It's not that." Sebastian sighed, a hand wringing at the back of his neck. "Ominis just left. And how do we know she will be coming back? What if she gets transferred to a different school or something."

"Oh please Sallow." Imelda rolled her eyes. "That won't happen. Besides, if someone tried to make Siren go to a different school, I doubt she would sit by and let that happen."  Despite his mood, Sebastian couldn't prevent the small tug that pulled at the corner of his mouth. She was right. Every time the teachers would confront Siren about missing classes, she would always manage to get away with another 'warning'. The fact she never got a single detention was a crime, and yet, he would gladly take another for her.

"Well, I need to go pack. If I don't see you before I leave, have a good summer Reyes."

"You too Sallow. And think about what I said before." she called after him. "Quidditch will be back next year and I could really use you on the team." Sebastian worked his jaw as his thoughts began to spin again.

"Yeah, I'll think about it." he said as he made his way up the stairs to his dorm.

He had wanted to play Quidditch this year but because of his sister's curse, and of course Professor Black, it became an impossibility. And now, after everything, his sister was still cursed, he didn't have a guardian, he wouldn't have the funds for the uniform, and he didn't think he would be able to handle using one of the horrible school brooms.

Maybe he could help out around Feldcroft? People could pay him to chop wood, or any other tasks someone may need. The only problem with magic was it left very little for a schoolboy to offer help of any kind.

    Sebastian quickly packed up his things into a single suitcase and his school bag. He looked at the room again, the four poster beds and desks empty. He had taken his stacks of books back to the library the day before, Madame Scribner gave him a chased glare at the sheer quantity of them. He wondered how she would have reacted to the stack he brought back to the restricted section later that night. The room now looked truly abandoned. With one last breath he closed the door to his and Ominis's empty dorm, and began his begrudging trek out of the Slytherin common room.

His stomach grumbled and he thought about heading to the great hall, but didn't really want to see anyone else if he didn't have to. His mind then wandered to the kitchen's down by the Hufflepuff common room, remembering how Siren had tickled the pear to get inside. He wondered if he could do that now, or if the house elves would be annoyed by him being there. Despite his doubts, his feet and stomach seemed to have decided for him as he now found himself frozen in front of the painted fruit. Just as he was about to force his feet and stomach to walk away, a voice called out to him.

    "Sebastian! What are you doing down here?" Poppy walked up to him, she also had a few bags in her hand.

    "I uh... thought about grabbing some food, for the road..." His voice faded out, uncertain if it was pathetic for him to need to grab some food before leaving.

    "Oh me too!" Poppy said, walking up to the painting and tickling the pear. The painting swung open and Poppy walked inside. "The house elves always pack us Hufflepuffs up little lunches for if we have long journeys. They are available for the other houses as well but not many others know, or make the trek down here." Sebastian followed after Poppy, and just as she had said, there were little cloth bags stacked up in a basket, ready for students to grab them. "Here you go." Poppy said, handing one of the bags out to him.'