21. Are they in love?

Maya's POV

Once we were done with appetizers we ordered the main course. The lunch today is so quiet that I can hear both Samy's breathing and Anurag's sighs.

"Oh! Come on. What the hell happened to all of you? Why are we eating food as if this is a funeral." Shrestha asked after what felt like an eternity. I smiled at her and tried making conversation as I disliked this silence.

"What happened to our remaining friends? Did they reach their destination?" I asked Shrestha but the person who responded to that was Samy.

"They reached yesterday itself. I am not sure whether we can meet them in time. So I told them not to wait anymore." Samy said without looking at anyone in particular.

Our main dishes arrived in time and we all fell into pleasing silence. I liked this restaurant a lot. Even though no one was enjoying the lunch, I enjoyed the ambiance and the food here was okay. I had eaten tastier food before but the restaurant and the beach atmosphere with this food felt too good to be real.

My enjoyment didn't last long. Preethi opened her damn mouth and turning completely towards Anurag to face Samy, she asked " So Sam, about your engagement. How long have you been engaged? "

Oh my god. Did she use a nickname now? She knew him for one day for god's sake. Who gives people nicknames in such a short time?

"2 years and counting.." Saira replied instead of Samy. She was all smiles and held his hand while responding to Preethi. I am not sure whether I am right or wrong but I can feel some tension radiating between Saira and Samy. So I guess Saira noticed his blatant flirting with that new girl then.

"You guys do not look to be in love." Preethi blurted making Anurag choke on his food. This girl doesn't have a filter. Who tells someone that they don't look or behave like lovers?

"You came to this conclusion in what one day?" Saira laughed grabbing Samy's hand harder. "You don't even know us for one complete day. So how will you know what we are or what we can be?" She started eating with her right hand while still holding him with her left hand. I never saw Saira this possessive towards Samy.

They had their moments and they were pretty close. I mean they are going to get married. So obviously they are close. But she never intentionally showed someone that they were together. Maybe Preethi made her jealous as well.

"It doesn't need days to know if someone is in love with another. I thought these two have something going on at first." She said slowly looking at the deserts that are being arranged on the table now. I didn't even notice when our main course was completed. I stopped eating as soon as Preethi started talking.

This time I am the one who choked on air. Both Anurag and Samy handed me a glass of water immediately. I didn't take their glasses. Instead, I took my glass and drank from it. Both of them lowered their glasses now. I didn't even look at Preethi when she talked. But I know who she is referring to. I felt the need to respond and defend ourselves before Saira took this whole thing negatively.

Before I opened my mouth, Saira continued replying to her, " That is because they have been friends for a long time now. If you see or notice you will see that even Anurag behaves like that with Maya. They are in love for sure but that is purely friendship." She told and looked at Anurag.

He nodded with a smile. Samy removed his hand from Saira's hold and took the ice cream sundae bowl from the dinner table. Saira adjusted herself as if she felt offended by that. Instead of eating his dessert, he placed that bowl in front of me. Anurag took a spoon from the table and handed me that in turn.

None of them commented on what Preethi asked or what Saira replied. But what is there to reply or comment on? Their actions are clearer than the day itself. Feeding me when our relationship is being questioned is a way of telling people that they don't care. They don't care what others think about our relationship. All that matters to them is that they look after my needs and wishes.

My favorite chocolate brownie sundae. I know that Anurag ordered that and Samy is feeding me. But they didn't even look at each other even once this whole lunchtime. Preethi was about to counter to Saira but Kartik stopped her. He changed the conversation and started talking with Preethi about their assignment.

"Eat Angel," Samy said moving the bowl closer. He took the spoon beside the bowl and placed it inside. I turned to look at Anurag. He was looking at me with a smile on his face. "Eat doll' Don't overthink." He smiled.

I took a bite of the ice cream. It is heaven. I liked it. What is not there to love in eating ice cream and chocolate together? Everyone fell into some conversation started by Shres. Anurag responded to her questions about his life. Preethi and Kartik were also adding their inputs as they are mostly together. Saira is eating her hot chocolate silently.

I was about to take another bite of my ice cream when I felt Samy's hand on my thigh. I thought it was unintentional or by mistake. But he didn't move his hand away. I stopped swallowing when I felt his grip tighten on my thigh. He slowly started moving his hand a little above making me squirm in my seat.

I turned to look at him and tried to glare asking him what the hell he was doing using my eyes. He did things like this before but it was always in secret. Even in a relationship, we never did things out in public as we are in a secret relationship. He is touching me in public sitting beside his fiancee.

I moved my hand below the table and tried removing his hand from my leg. But he bet me on it. He held my hand with his fingers and smiled at me. No, he is smirking at me. He is challenging me. After telling Shrestha that we are friends and nothing more he is doing not-so-friendly things below the table beside my real friends.

My heart started to race with a mixture of excitement and nervousness. Even though there are many people around us, it feels like we are in our private universe for some time. His eyes were sparkling with mischievous glint. That made me flush bright pink. I once turned towards Anurag and Saira to see whether they noticed anything. But no, they were fully engrossed in their conversations.

He started stroking his hand over mine. His warm touch sent shivers up my spine. I remembered what all happened that morning. I remembered how far we went in such a short time. Samy moved a little closer to me and now our legs are touching. He started moving his feet above my leg and started massaging it. I experienced an electric sensation suddenly.

I know I should remove his hand and legs from me. This is risky. We have done things worse before but never in the company. His fiancee is sitting right beside him. How the hell is he doing these things without even losing his eye contact with me? I know I am angry with him. I am jealous too. But something changed. These 2 years we were never this close. There are always a few moments here and there. But every time he did them in secret.

Suddenly conversation stopped on the table. I turned to look at Anurag. He raised his eyebrows looking at me. He was waiting for me to respond to something. Samy's thumb gently carrased my hand and that made my heart flutter. I focused on Anurag now without letting my emotions display on my face.

"Are you alright doll?" He asked with concern written all over his face. I turned to look at Saira. She was focused on her desert but there was a frown on her face. I am curious to know whether she noticed anything amiss. There is no change in her reaction. I faced Anurag and said " Oh, uh, yeah. I am alright. It's just that, this dessert is too tasty."

I tried removing Samy's hand and leg but he is not allowing me to do that. My hand is still in his hand above my thigh. Anurag noticed that I was not eating my ice cream. He looked at the bowl and me once. He didn't point out anything. Instead, he nodded and smiled at me making me feel remorseful.

Author's Note :

Hello beautiful people. How do you like this chapter? Please vote and follow my work.

Do you think Anurag realized something was happening between them? What do you think he will do now?

Do you think the remaining people also have any doubts? Or Do you think Maya and Sameer managed to hide their chemistry this time as well?

Let me know your views in the comments.