CHAPTER 3

The morning of the interview, Hannah stood in front of the mirror, scrutinizing her reflection. She wore a tailored navy blazer over a crisp white blouse, paired with black slacks. Freya had helped her pick out the outfit the night before, insisting it struck the perfect balance between professional and confident.

"You look great," Freya assured her from the doorway, a supportive smile on her face. "You're going to nail this interview."

Hannah took a deep breath and nodded. "Thanks, Freya. I really hope so."

She gathered her things and headed out, nerves and excitement mingling in her chest. As she walked to the bus stop, she replayed the advice Freya had given her: be confident, be honest, and be yourself. It sounded simple enough, but the weight of starting over made it feel monumental.

Arriving at the downtown office building, Hannah took a moment to steady herself before stepping inside. The receptionist directed her to the fifth floor, and she rode the elevator up, her heart pounding.

In the waiting area, Hannah glanced around at the other candidates, each looking equally poised and professional. She took a deep breath, reminding herself that she belonged here just as much as they did.

After what felt like an eternity, her name was called. A friendly-looking woman with glasses and a warm smile introduced herself as Karen, the hiring manager.

"Nice to meet you, Hannah. Please, follow me."

They walked into a bright, modern conference room, and Karen gestured for Hannah to take a seat. The interview began with the usual questions about her background and experience. Hannah felt a bit shaky at first, but as the conversation continued, she found her footing. She spoke about her previous roles, her skills, and her passion for marketing.

Karen listened intently, nodding and taking notes. "I appreciate your honesty and enthusiasm, Hannah. Tell me, what made you decide to apply for this position?"

Hannah hesitated for a moment, then decided to be candid. "I recently left a difficult situation, and I'm looking for a fresh start. I want to build a career where I can grow and contribute to a team that values creativity and collaboration. This company's innovative approach really resonates with me."

Karen smiled, her eyes kind. "Thank you for sharing that. We're looking for someone who's not just skilled, but also passionate and resilient. I believe you'd be a great fit here."

The rest of the interview flowed smoothly, and by the end, Hannah felt a sense of accomplishment. Karen stood and shook her hand. "We'll be in touch soon. Thank you for coming in today."

As Hannah left the building, a sense of relief washed over her. No matter the outcome, she had taken a significant step toward rebuilding her life.

When she got back to Freya's apartment, Freya was waiting eagerly. "How did it go?" she asked, practically bouncing with anticipation.

"It went well," Hannah said, a smile spreading across her face. "I think I made a good impression."

Freya clapped her hands together. "That's fantastic! I'm so proud of you, Hannah."

The next few days passed in a blur of anticipation. Hannah kept busy, reading her new book and continuing to look for other job opportunities, but her mind frequently drifted back to the interview.

Then, one afternoon, her phone rang. Seeing the company's name on the caller ID, her heart skipped a beat. She answered, her voice steady despite her nerves.

"Hello, this is Hannah."

"Hi, Hannah, this is Karen from the interview. I'm pleased to inform you that we'd like to offer you the position of marketing assistant. We were very impressed with your interview and believe you'll be a valuable addition to our team."

Hannah's breath caught in her throat. "Thank you so much, Karen! I'm thrilled to accept."

After discussing the details, Hannah hung up, a grin spreading across her face. She turned to Freya, who had been watching with bated breath.

"I got the job!" Hannah exclaimed.

Freya let out a joyful squeal and rushed to hug her. "I knew it! This is just the beginning for you, Hannah."

As they celebrated, Hannah felt a sense of triumph and hope. She was on her way to building a new life, free from the shadows of her past. And with her new job and Freya's unwavering support, she knew she could face whatever challenges lay ahead.