CHAPTER 2

The morning sun streamed through the curtains, casting a golden hue across Freya’s apartment. Hannah stretched and took a deep breath, feeling a sense of renewed purpose. She slipped out of bed and joined Freya in the kitchen, where the aroma of fresh coffee filled the air.

“Good morning,” Freya greeted with a warm smile. “How did you sleep?”

“Better than I have in a long time,” Hannah replied, taking a seat at the table. “Thank you for everything, Freya.”

Freya waved off the gratitude. “You’re my best friend. Of course, I’m here for you. So, what’s the plan for today?”

Hannah thought for a moment, sipping her coffee. “I need to figure out my next steps. I don’t want to keep living in fear. I need a job, a place of my own, and a fresh start.”

Freya nodded. “Let’s take it one step at a time. How about we start with looking for job openings? I can help you update your resume.”

“That sounds good,” Hannah agreed, feeling a spark of excitement. She hadn’t felt this hopeful in a long time.

The two friends spent the morning going through job listings and updating Hannah’s resume. As they worked, Hannah felt a growing sense of determination. She was reclaiming her life, one step at a time.

By midday, they had found a few promising job leads. “There’s an opening for a marketing assistant at that new startup downtown,” Freya said, pointing to the screen. “You’d be perfect for it.”

Hannah smiled. “I’ll apply right away.”

After submitting her applications, Hannah decided to take a walk. She needed to clear her head and think about her future. As she strolled through the city streets, she marveled at how different everything looked now that she was free from Nicholas’s control.

Lost in thought, she almost didn’t notice the small bookstore tucked between two larger buildings. The sign above the door read “The Enchanted Page.” Intrigued, she decided to step inside.

The bell above the door tinkled as she entered, and the scent of old books and fresh coffee enveloped her. The shop was cozy and inviting, with shelves crammed full of books and comfortable chairs scattered about. A man behind the counter looked up and smiled warmly.

“Welcome to The Enchanted Page,” he said. “Can I help you find anything?”

Hannah shook her head. “Just browsing, thanks.”

As she wandered through the aisles, running her fingers along the spines of the books, she felt a sense of peace. She paused in front of a shelf filled with self-help and motivational books. One title caught her eye: “Embracing Your True Self.” She pulled it from the shelf and began to read the introduction.

The words resonated with her, and she decided to buy the book. As she approached the counter, the man smiled again. “Good choice,” he said. “That one’s helped a lot of people.”

“I hope it helps me too,” Hannah replied, handing over the money.

He wrapped the book in a paper bag and handed it to her. “I’m sure it will. Have a great day.”

Hannah left the bookstore, feeling lighter than she had in weeks. She walked back to Freya’s apartment, her mind buzzing with new possibilities. She was on a journey of self-discovery, and she was ready to embrace whatever came next.

As she turned the corner to Freya’s street, her phone buzzed with a notification. She glanced at the screen and saw an email from one of the companies she had applied to. Her heart raced as she opened it.

“Dear Ms. Carter,” it began. “We are pleased to invite you for an interview for the position of marketing assistant.”

Hannah’s eyes widened in disbelief. She had an interview. It was the first step toward her new life. She hurried back to Freya’s apartment, eager to share the news.

When she burst through the door, Freya looked up in surprise. “What happened?”

“I got an interview!” Hannah exclaimed, holding up her phone.

Freya’s face lit up with joy. “That’s amazing! When is it?”

“Tomorrow morning,” Hannah replied, her excitement bubbling over. “I can’t believe it.”

Freya hugged her tightly. “You’re amazing, Hannah. You deserve this.”

As they celebrated, Hannah felt a surge of hope and determination. She was finally taking control of her life, and she knew that with Freya by her side, anything was possible.