Chapter 5: Confrontations and Realizations

The carnival buzzed with excitement as the night wore on. Lights twinkled against the darkening sky, and laughter echoed across the campus. Despite the festive atmosphere, a tension lingered among a few of the students, simmering just beneath the surface.

Zenitsu sat on the grass, his face a mix of frustration and sadness. Tanjiro and Inosuke sat beside him, trying to offer comfort.

"I just don't get it," Zenitsu muttered, his eyes downcast. "Why doesn't she like me? I do everything I can to make her notice me."

"Zenitsu," Tanjiro said gently, "sometimes feelings aren't mutual. It's not something you can force. Nezuko values you as a friend, but you have to respect her feelings."

Inosuke grunted, crossing his arms. "Yeah, stop being such a crybaby. If she doesn't like you that way, move on. There are plenty of other girls out there."

Zenitsu sighed, rubbing his temples. "I know, but it's hard. She's just... different."

Before their conversation could continue, they noticed a group of the girls who had been flirting with Muichiro earlier approaching. The tall girl with long hair, who had been the most forward, led the group.

"Hey, you're Zenitsu, right?" she said, her tone sweet but with an edge of curiosity.

Zenitsu blinked, surprised. "Uh, yeah. Why?"

"We saw you earlier, making a scene about Muichiro and Nezuko," she said, crossing her arms. "You have a thing for her, don't you?"

Zenitsu's face reddened. "What's it to you?"

The girl shrugged, a sly smile on her lips. "Just curious. But you should know, Muichiro isn't interested in any of us. He's too focused on her."

Zenitsu's eyes widened, and he looked at the girl with a mix of surprise and skepticism. "How do you know that?"

The girl rolled her eyes. "It's obvious. He's always with her, and he never pays attention to anyone else. It's frustrating, honestly."

Tanjiro, sensing the potential for more drama, stepped in. "Listen, it's not fair to blame Muichiro for who he likes. Everyone has a right to their own feelings."

The girl huffed, clearly annoyed. "Yeah, whatever. But it doesn't change the fact that he's always ignoring us for her. It's just... annoying."

As the girls walked away, Zenitsu felt a pang of guilt. He realized that his jealousy was not only affecting him but was also creating unnecessary drama for Nezuko and Muichiro.

"Maybe Tanjiro's right," Zenitsu muttered. "I need to let it go."

Meanwhile, Nezuko and Muichiro had found a quiet spot away from the carnival's hustle and bustle. They sat on a bench, enjoying the relative peace. Nezuko leaned her head on Muichiro's shoulder, feeling a sense of contentment.

"Thank you for being here," Nezuko said softly. "It means a lot to me."

Muichiro smiled, his hand gently stroking her hair. "I'll always be here for you, Nezuko. You mean a lot to me too."

Their moment of tranquility was interrupted when the tall girl from earlier approached, her expression a mix of determination and frustration.

"Muichiro," she called out, her voice firm.

Muichiro looked up, his expression neutral. "Yes?"

The girl took a deep breath, her hands clenched at her sides. "Why her? Why do you always choose Nezuko over everyone else?"

Nezuko tensed, but Muichiro remained calm. "Because Nezuko is special to me. She understands me in a way no one else does."

The girl's eyes flashed with hurt and anger. "But we could understand you too, if you gave us a chance!"

Muichiro shook his head. "It's not about giving chances. It's about connection. And I have that with Nezuko."

The girl's shoulders slumped, and she looked defeated. "I just... I don't get it. What does she have that we don't?"

Nezuko stood up, her voice steady. "It's not about what I have or don't have. It's about feelings. You can't force someone to like you. And you can't blame them for who they care about."

The girl bit her lip, tears welling up in her eyes. "I just wanted a chance."

Muichiro sighed, his voice gentle. "I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt anyone. But my feelings for Nezuko are real, and they won't change."

With that, the girl turned and walked away, her friends following behind her. Nezuko watched them go, feeling a mix of sympathy and relief.

"That was intense," Nezuko murmured.

Muichiro nodded, his gaze softening as he looked at her. "It was. But I'm glad we talked about it. I don't want any misunderstandings between us."

Nezuko smiled, her heart swelling with affection. "Me neither."

As they sat back down, the sounds of the carnival faded into the background, leaving them in a bubble of their own making. The drama and tension of the day had brought them closer, strengthening their bond in ways they hadn't anticipated.

For the first time in a long while, Nezuko felt truly at peace, knowing that no matter what challenges lay ahead, she and Muichiro would face them together.