𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒

˗ˏˋ꒰🤍꒱

Milo and Harper sat side by side in the theater, quietly observing as Christian, Andrew, Stephanie, Anthony Rosenthal, and Brandon Uranowitz rehearsed songs from Act 1 of Falsettos.

Milo found herself particularly drawn to Christian as he performed "Marvin Hits Trina," his voice resonating with emotion and skill. Lost in the intensity of the moment, her thoughts wandered until Harper's voice broke through.

"Earth to Milo," Harper said with a playful giggle, nudging Milo gently.

Milo blinked, momentarily caught off guard. "Uh?" she replied, turning to Harper with a sheepish smile.

You were staring at my brother again," Harper teased Milo, nudging her playfully.

Milo sat up, a faint blush creeping onto her cheeks. "What do you mean, again?"

Harper chuckled, rolling her eyes with a grin. "You were totally staring at him during 'Marvin at the Psychiatrist (A Three-Part Mini-Opera).'"

Milo laughed softly, trying to play it off. "No, I wasn't—"

Harper raised an eyebrow, her expression teasing. "Milo, come on. I saw you."

"Fine. Maybe I was," Milo muttered reluctantly as Harper laughed softly.

"See, I told you," Harper teased, her grin widening.

Milo nudged her friend gently. "Shut up," she said with a playful smile, enjoying the lighthearted moment.

"It's okay, Milo. He's your friend, after all." Harper said to Milo, emphasizing the word 'friend' in a way that hinted she might be aware of Milo's feelings for Christian.

Milo, catching onto the subtle implication, raised an eyebrow at Harper. "Why did you say 'friend' like that?" she asked, curiosity and amusement in her tone.

Harper met Milo's gaze innocently. "Like what, M?"

Milo smirked, knowing her friend well. "Oh, come on, Harp. You know exactly what I mean."

Harper chuckled softly, unable to hide her playful grin. "Okay, maybe I was teasing you a little. But hey, it's no secret you admire him."

"I don't like him in that way. Christian and I are just friends," Milo asserted to Harper, trying to clear any misconceptions.

Harper nodded skeptically. "Sure, 'just friends'," she replied with a teasing tone.

Milo sighed, feeling a little exasperated. "I'm serious, Harp."

Harper leaned forward, her expression curious. "Then why is he flirting with you, huh?"

Milo chuckled softly, shaking her head. "Christian flirts with everyone," she explained to Harper.

Harper frowned, unconvinced. "Not everyone. He's been flirting with you a lot more lately."

Milo considered Harper's observation, a thoughtful expression crossing her face. "Maybe he's just being friendly," she suggested, though a part of her couldn't deny the possibility of something more.

Harper raised an eyebrow knowingly. "Or maybe he's trying to tell you something."

Just then, as Act 1 came to a close, there was a brief intermission before they would start Act 2. Stephanie approached Milo and Harper, a warm smile spreading across Harper's face as she stood up to greet her girlfriend.

"Hey, babe," Harper said affectionately, giving Stephanie a gentle hug.

Stephanie returned the hug warmly, pressing a kiss to Harper's cheek. "Hey, love. How's everything going?"

Harper glanced over at Milo, who smiled warmly at Stephanie. "Rehearsal's going great. Everyone's really on point today."

Milo stood up from her seat, feeling the need to catch up with Andrew and Christian. She turned to Harper and Stephanie, who both nodded in acknowledgment.

"I'm gonna go see Andrew and Christian," Milo informed them with a smile.

Harper grinned mischievously at Milo, who playfully rolled her eyes in response. "Sure thing, Milo. Don't get too distracted," Harper teased.

˗ˏˋ꒰🤍꒱