prologue

Amethyst Dorothein's POV

prologue

The soft murmur of the crowd buzzed around me like a swarm of bees, their eyes all glued to the stage. The spotlight, bright and unforgiving, bore down on me as I struck my final pose.

My heart raced, adrenaline coursing through my veins, but outwardly, I maintained my composure. A practiced smile graced my lips as I heard the applause crescendo, echoing through the grand hall.

"Thank you, miss Amethyst!" The announcer's voice boomed, signaling the end of my runway walk. I turned gracefully and made my way backstage, the applause slowly fading behind me.

Backstage was a chaotic symphony of models, designers, and makeup artists, each frantically preparing for the next segment. I weaved through the crowd, heading towards my designated area where my team awaited.

As I reached them, I felt a familiar pang in my chest-a mixture of pride and a deeper, more complicated emotion.

"Ang galing galing mo miss Amethyst! You did so great out there!" Naomi, my stylist, beamed at me as she handed me a water bottle. I thanked her and took a sip, the cool liquid soothing my parched throat.

My phone buzzed in my bag, pulling me back to reality. I reached for it, already knowing who it would be. Sure enough, a text from ate Sapphire, lit up the screen.

_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_

Ate Sapph:
You did amazing Amy!!

Nanonood si mom at dad sa tv! They said you did good!!

Aaaaa I'm so proud of youuu

_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_

I couldn't help the small, bitter smile that crept onto my lips. "Good," I thought. Not "amazing" or "great," just "good." The same vague praise they'd always given me. I quickly typed a response.

_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_

Me:
Thanks ate!

How's everything back home?

Ate Sapph:
Busy, as always..

Mom's been swamped with events, and dad's handling some new business deals.

They said hi btw

_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠__⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_⁠_

I rolled my eyes, stuffing the phone back into my bag. "Hi," I mused. That was it. Not a word about my accomplishments, my successes. Just a cursory acknowledgment.

Growing up in a wealthy family had its perks, but it also came with its own set of burdens. My parents were the epitome of high society-perfectly polished, eternally busy, and endlessly demanding.