48. Driving

Olivia

I'm at the top of the happiness cliff, dancing and singing without worrying about falling and meeting the consequences of gravity. 
But how much of me will break when I fall from this cliff and smack on the ground? 

It's been a week that me and Joel are dating and those have been the best days of my life. We try to keep it a secret as much as possible because if the whole school knows then our families will find out too. 

Joel waits for me in the school parking lot every morning and we walk to school together, Lucy and the others walk with us too. He buys me my favorite chocolate every lunch break and sits beside me in the couch. He kisses me in every chance he gets when we're alone, when the cafeteria is empty, in hallway's corners or in an empty classroom.

The rooftop has become our very secret place now. We go there to escape from everyone, from our families, from the weight of our last names, from our responsibilities, and from everything that ties down our freedom. In the rooftop it's just Joel and Olivia, nothing more and nothing less. Just two normal teenagers who are in love with each other, living their teenage life. 

We play a charming game on the rooftop invented by Joel himself; he gifts me a carnation flower daily, and I have to guess its color. The carnation from yesterday was orange which I lost to guess because I said it's pink. I wonder what today's color might be. 

The '' enemies'' between us is crushed and replaced by something else much stronger than hate or anything else. Sometimes I wonder how the heck that big hate shifted into this love. 
But even that me and Joel aren't enemies anymore, our families are. 

I can't imagine what would happen if they found out about it.

''Are you okay, Liv?" Lucy asks interrupting my train of thoughts.

We're going to school and as always Lucy is driving her white BMW. Her driving is so good, and she looks so hot in front of the steering wheel, it makes me want to learn how to drive too. I'm sixteen and legally able to learn how to drive and get a driving licence, but I'm too scared to. 

Can I ask Joel to teach me how to drive? 

''Yeah, I'm fine.'' I answer.
''You seem lost in thoughts.''
''I'm thinking what would happen if our families found out about me and Joel.'' I sigh.
''I can't stay it would be fine.'' Lucy says, ''But let's just hope for the best.''

Lucy drives her car into the parking lot and to her space. 

''He's cute.'' Lucy says pointing at Joel who's waiting for me in front of his car.
''Right?" I smile and get out of the car.

I approach him slowly and he smiles at me.
''Good morning princess.'' he says.
''Morning.'' 

He hops an arm around my shoulder and hugs me to his side dropping a kiss on my cheek.
''We shouldn't be this close.'' I say looking around in concern.
''We'll tell them we're friends.''
''Friends don't act like that.''
''What? No!'' he gasps acting surprised and I laugh.

''I'm of to the library, see ya later.'' Lucy walks ahead of us.
''She always goes to the library.'' Joel says, ''My brother goes there too, do you think they see each other?"
"Maybe.'' I reply.

''Chérie!'' Andy shouts coming toward me and then stops when he sees Joel, ''Ugh, you're here too.''
''Yeah, you got a problem with that?" Joel glares at him and hugs me tighter. 

''Yeah, I do have a problem.'' he crosses his arms.
''Well, it's your problem not mine.'' Joel says and walks ahead with me at his side.
I bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from laughing.